14' v-bottom - Work in progress...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThrobbinRod

Reaction score
Ok, I just found this site and I'm a noob... but an excited one, if that's worth anything. I just bought this 16' entire rig and discovered that the wood underneath the bench seats was totally rotten. I pulled the back seat with intentions of just replacing the wood... then decided a back deck would be really nice. :lol:

The trouble is that I'm not sure how to go about it... here's what I've come up with and I'm looking for feedback...

Check out the images below... then... I would turn the 3 sections behind the bench into storage boxes and a deck area.... so...

1) is it OK to put holes in the transom supports so that I can screw these braces onto it?

2) is it OK to suspend my deck from the transom supports?

3) is it OK to have this entire deck suspended from the bench braces and transom supports without running something to the bottom of the boat?

Open to any suggestions. I've been staring at this thing for almost 3 hours. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,440
  • Sloppy Drawing.jpg
    Sloppy Drawing.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,440
:WELCOME:

You will be ok screwing into the braces and ribs,just don't puncture the hull.It's best to use self tapping stainless steel screws.You will also need some bracing to support the deck,unless it will not be holding weight or walked on.I would add bracing to be safe.

Thanks! I was hoping that I could just "suspend" the deck like the built in benches. But I see pretty much every deck mod on the forum has had additional bracing of some type, so I'll brobably throw in some 2x2s following some of those examples.

Sounds like yur on the right track Rob, good luck and have fun. V bottoms can be a real chalange.

Some updates... I'm making it up as I go. :)

I removed the old bench seat.

Cut a 1x12 to lengh & slid it into the existing brackets.

Cut a 2x12 to match the angle of the transom braces, ripped it to ~10 3/4" and then cut it to length to slide under the bench. (I repeated the process on the other side.

I used 2 1/2" course thread drywall screws to hold them together. Just 2 on each side for now. (I hear people yelling stainless already, but once this is assembled, I'm removing the whole unit and coating it as a single piece... so that should take care of it. (I hope!)

(I'm about to go take a couple pictures of my current progress & post another update. Not a lot has changed.)

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,440
  • Picture 009.JPG
    Picture 009.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,442
Between the previous post and now, I've done a lot of thinking and just a little bit of work...

Picture 18 & 21 will show you that I've added 4 pieces of 2x2. The first 2 pieces run just on the outside of my large support boards. This is just to increase the size of the lip that I have to work with. The inside compartment will hold my battery & gas can. The lid for this is simply going to be a lift-out piece, not hinged. Each of the side compartments will be hinged to the transom in the rear.

You'll notice that the transom supports are slightly wider than the actual 2x12 boards that I used for support. I simply made a small relief cut with my chop saw and then popped it once or twice with a wood chisel to remove the unwanted material.

The next set of 2x2s run just a few inches from the outside hull and almost completely under the bench seat. They are attached to the transom with a small simpson strong tie (An "L" bracket, bent slightly to accomodate the angle.) I placed them toward the inside so that if I decide to finish the inside of the boxes, I'll be able to make them deeper. Also to leave plenty of free room to work a wrench/socket when I have to reinstall the bolts for the bench seat & braces.

The center cover is just made out of 1x material. The two "ears" you see sticking out actuall lock underneath the bench seat and do an amazing job of prevening the cover from sliding and/or floppying around.

The side compartments will be made out of 5/8 plywood...

I plan to cover the front of the compartments with 1/4" ply.

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,438
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,437
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,439
I'm thinking about moving the battery to the front of the boat...

I also saw in this post (https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7765) where Rumbles used a rubber mat on top of some foam for his floor. Rather than carpet my back deck (and new seats, when I get there) - his idea made me think of gluing a rubber mat to the deck and then using a razor knife to cut along the edges of the different compartments...

Any thoughts on those 2 ideas?

Thanks!!

Looks really nice so far - I hadn't considered the rear deck idea before, but I see where you are headed with it. One thing it did make me think of, every Tiller engine I've operated I did it while straddling the rear bench. With a flat deck there isn't anywhere for your rear leg to go, so you'd have to sit with both feet out in front of you I guess? Sounds like I need to put a temporary seat in mine and see what that feels like, maybe its not as I'm thinking.

Nah, I just use my left hand on the tiller, sit about centered in the boat and turned slightly to the left. :lol:

Latest posts