Kayack or Canoe?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2go

Reaction score
How about a square stern canoe?You can mount a trolling motor on them and car top them fairly easily.Something like one of these. https://www.1stdirectproducts.com/sqstca.html

I like canoes,I think thats because the only kayak I've been in was years ago and it was one of those tippy,scary eskimo roll things.
You can make stabalizers so you can stand.
I see alot of people in those sit on top and river kayaks and they really love them.There probably alot better then the old one I was in and out of.

If having two people is a big plus for you, I would suggest a canoe obviously. But I have a 11'-6" kayak that I really enjoy fishing out of. I mainly use mine for river trips.

Here is a pic of mine...
https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/bubba_wrx/DCP_0005.jpg

Native Watercraft(https://www.nativewatercraft.com/) offers a boat that is kind of a hybrid between a kayak and canoe. It's called an Ultimate 14.5 Tandem...which is designed for two people(They also offer a 16' version). A buddy of mine had a 12ft version of the Ultimate, and if I could afford one, I would have one. They are awesome....super stable(able to stand up in them without fear), the ease of a kayak, and the storage space of a canoe. Although if your limited on price, that is the only downfall to the Native boats....they are kinda pricey.

I've never been in a canoe, so I don't really know how to compare them to my kayak. Although I do know I love floating the river in my kayak during the summer. Talk about peaceful. :)

Bubba said:
If having two people is a big plus for you, I would suggest a canoe obviously. But I have a 11'-6" kayak that I really enjoy fishing out of. I mainly use mine for river trips.

Here is a pic of mine...

Native Watercraft(https://www.nativewatercraft.com/) offers a boat that is kind of a hybrid between a kayak and canoe. It's called an Ultimate 14.5 Tandem...which is designed for two people(They also offer a 16' version). A buddy of mine had a 12ft version of the Ultimate, and if I could afford one, I would have one. They are awesome....super stable(able to stand up in them without fear), the ease of a kayak, and the storage space of a canoe. Although if your limited on price, that is the only downfall to the Native boats....they are kinda pricey.

I've never been in a canoe, so I don't really know how to compare them to my kayak. Although I do know I love floating the river in my kayak during the summer. Talk about peaceful. :)
Its nice ,but its as big as a canoe with a high price.

How about a 13' Gheenoe.
Made of fiberglass, not tin.
Weighs about 125 lbs., so it can be car topped.
Can be paddled as well as powered.
Much more stable than a canoe or kayak.

Attachments

• 13ft_gheenoe.jpg
    13ft_gheenoe.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 851
Between the 2 I would take a canoe. How about a 10' jon? The one I have I can carry by myself. You could even make a big wheel dolly (like the deer dolly's) to make it easy to get over the hill and through the woods to the good spots. Just a suggestion.

jirwin6985 said:
True and thanks for the reply ben2go . I forgot to add something to the post above.. CHEAP! :lol: I want something like less than 300 bucks if i can. Its a great idea with the square stern canoe but the only thing is if i see the need to drag and battery and trolling motor with me than i will probly just bring the boat. This is more for bay/ tiny ponds that i can through in the water and go. Thanks again..
Joe

Yea,I understood that.I just wanted to give an example to be sure we were on the same page.Check the sporting goods section of ebay and look on craig's list.I found an all aluminum Grumman for $90,but didn't there with my money in time.It was on Craig's list.

I would take a kayak for sure if it was just me, id have one with rod holders and place for storage b/c they are right a canoe does have more room for storage but w/ a kayak paddling is easier and your closer to the water, much more peaceful. With a canoe paddling is a pain i think, when your by yourself.

I like the square stern canoes because they run shallow,easy to paddle,don't need much for power,and I can manage to get it on top of the truck rack.Ohhh and they're usually more stable and carry more than a kayak.I like kayaks for site seeing and cruising backwoods gunkholes.

do you plan on being by yourself or with a partner? if you plan to be by yourself then make sure either one is easily carried/launched by yourself. I had a 17' fiberglass canoe I got on the cheap but it was so large I needed an extra set of hands to load/unload it.

I've had both in the past, I sold the kayak. Too sensitive to wind, couldn't hold it even having it rigged with stern and bow anchors. Always fighting for a good place to set things down where you can get at them again. My 2 cents, get the canoe, make it a light one, maybe put a small trolling motor on it. Get decent anchors.

TIN HEAD said:
Bubba said:

Here is a pic of mine...

Its nice ,but its as big as a canoe with a high price.

Yes, I know its as long as a canoe, but a kayak is so much easier to handle...with the paddle style, and your alot closer to the water. Not to mention from what i've heard, alot more stable. As I said with my buddies Ultimate 12, You could stand up and fish while floating down the river in his. Don't believe you can do that as easy with a canoe from what i've seen. But like I said, I know it has a hefty price tag, so that is the only reason I might just choose a canoe over it.

I have a sit on top kayak and for solo trips it's really good. With either one you're going to get blown around in the wind, you're going to get more wet in a 'yak which is fine in the summer but means waders when it's cold.

I have both and for fishing you deffenetly want a sit on top yak if you can swing it a hobbie mirrage. Yaks are much more stable and they can be rigged for fishing with a milk crate and some pvc pipe . I have landed huge tarpon on my hobbie and even a 4 foot reef shark.