Need some advice...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shade

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have an old springbuck from princecraft that i will soon modify with one of my friends who knows how to weld aluminum. I'm planning to do a deck and a bottom made entirely with aluminum. I want to install a livewell and some storage compartment. My only concern about is that I got only a 9.9 Johnson motor so i might have a speed factor problem and I'm afraid it will had to much weight to the boat. My question is I saw a lot of people putting some foam boards or spray foam and I'm wondering if it would help me balance the weight i will put in.

thank you

Shade

foam will do nothing to help with the extra weight .
Foam is only meant to keep the boat from sinking when it is swamped
Wayne

:WELCOME:

Put your batteries in the center of the boat.That will help with most of the weight.A trolling motor up front will balance out the fuel tank and some of the motors weight.You want roughly a 60/40 balance, with a little more weight rearward, so the boat will plane and the bow won't plow.I'm not sure that a 9.9HP will plane a loaded 12 to 14 foot boat when loaded.I think a 15 to 20 horsepower would plane the boat.If you're not going fishing or hunting miles away,a 9.9 will be better on fuel.

Latest posts