Need help with building front deck on fiberglass boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larlarsa

Reaction score
i want to build a fishing deck on my 14ft fiberglass boat with pedestal seat and trolling motor, and add some space for storage too.i am planning to make the deck from tip to second bench sit,like all the people did on the jon boat here.But i don't know how to mount the deck framing on fiber glass,should i need to drill a lot of hole?

Any advice ,please.

Attachments

• 67806cd_20.jpeg
    67806cd_20.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,313
All of the seats are filled with foam.You could build a deck that sits over the seats.Use 2x2s on the bottom of the deck in front of and behind the seats, to keep the deck from sliding around.

You can do like Ben2Go said as far as attaching it to the seats.

You don't need to attach the 2x2's to the floor, they can just be used as supports as long as some part of the decking is attached to the bench

have a plan here,but don't know is work or not. i try to make a frames put those pole between the seat,then i can build two storage.

Attachments

• Picture 272.jpg
    Picture 272.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,622
larlarsa said:
i want to build a fishing deck on my 14ft fiberglass boat with pedestal seat and trolling motor, and add some space for storage too.i am planning to make the deck from tip to second bench sit,like all the people did on the jon boat here.But i don't know how to mount the deck framing on fiber glass,should i need to drill a lot of hole?

Any advice ,please.

Depends how much fiberglassing you want to do!

Here is what I did;

This is how it started life with me;
89+canot+grand+mere.pdf+-+Adobe+Reader.bmp

A cut here:
DayTwo+002.jpg

A cut there:
DayThree+007.jpg

Some paint here;
Boat3+004.jpg

Some fiberglass there;
Boat3+007.jpg

...and I had a serviceable boat!
Boat3+001.jpg

I never got to take many photos of it when I finished everything; Full sized rod locker on the left side and carpet on the bench lids. It turned out well... but too heavy for my liking. I traded it straight up for my current tin that I am working on.

Grind and cut and glass. Put good support in the casting deck and fiberglass the crap out of it.

One word of caution; Wear a mask that has cartridges at all times when working with glass resin and grinding it... :shock:

Craig

larlarsa said:
have a plan here,but don't know is work or not. i try to make a frames put those pole between the seat,then i can build two storage.

Your plan is sound.I like it.You wouldn't have to fasten it to the hull.After it's built,it should be heavy enough to hold it's self in place.

Latest posts