14' semi V - First bigger boat - Need Help with Painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Hey guys,

After selling my old Water Tender I was able to get a decent deal on a 14' semi v (I think?), 4 leather seats, a cover, and an anchor for $300. Probably not the best deal, but I revamped my galvanized trailer (new lights, hardware, winch, bunks, etc.) and just needed a boat. Pictures will come later when I am out of work. The boat is very sound, one a spot on the bottom where one of the very back ends of the boat is twisted. No hole or anything, but I would like to reattach after straightening out. My brother and my gf's father are very handy, so they will be helping me in this process. I am assuming it may need to be welded and then sanded?

Any work I will do is going to be in the Modifications Forum, but looking for information here first).

So a few questions:

I read a lot of the paint threads but I just want to be clear about what I have (I am sure more ofyou can help when I add my pcitures). It seems as if the baot is already bare aluminum, just some letters on the hull for ID or whatever. So what are the exact steps to take to give it a new fresh coat of glossy paint. Correct me if I am wrong.

1. Powerwash the boat and degrease
2. Wipe with acetone
3. Sand the aluminum boat all over with 60 grit.
4. Wipe down with acetone.
5. Apply a coat of self-etching primer
6. Apply paint

Also for the sanding - how many discs will I go through for my palm sander? It's going to take more than one, no?

Can I also do the inside the same? I am just doing the painting this year, as I want to use the boat a lot then revamp this winter if I have any money left. So, is the list ok? What do I need? Please tell me brands you prefer for each step,etc. I live in an area of the country where everything is likely a short drive so I can likely find any product I need. Thanks, guys, looking forward to hearing some opinions!!

i would wash the boat and then wipe down in acetone. other than that your on your way. i'd recomend self etching primer if you can afford it, but regular primer will do the job fine .

Loggerhead Mike said:
i would wash the boat and then wipe down in acetone. other than that your on your way. i'd recomend self etching primer if you can afford it, but regular primer will do the job fine .

Thanks, so wipe down with acetone before even sanding? Do I have to even power wash before wiping with acetone?

Edit: I think you meant wash, then have acetone, this way the surface after acetone is bare to apply the primer

Any paint recomendations? Steel flex is optimal for the bottom of the boat but I'm not sure if I want to shell out 50 bucks for that alone.

you always want to wash and degrease BEFORE you do any sanding or painting. You can drive the grease and junk in to the aluminum if you sand on it without washing first.

shizzy77 said:
you always want to wash and degrease BEFORE you do any sanding or painting. You can drive the grease and junk in to the aluminum if you sand on it without washing first.

Great, thanks for this! As for degreaser - what am I looking for?

Thanks for the heads up on the Spray Nine. I also read somewhere that WD40 can be used as a degreaser, is that true? I only ask because my dad has a lot of the stuff and I could use that to save some money.

I wouldn't use WD40... it's a lubricant and leaves residue behind that you have to work that much harder with the acetone to get off

If you don't want to buy new stuff.... wash the boat real good with warm water (hot as you can stand it) and Dawn or some dish liquid, scrub brush for the bad places and a rag.. that works too, just be sure to hand dry it with a chamois, then go over it with acetone

russ010 said:
I wouldn't use WD40... it's a lubricant and leaves residue behind that you have to work that much harder with the acetone to get off

If you don't want to buy new stuff.... wash the boat real good with warm water (hot as you can stand it) and Dawn or some dish liquid, scrub brush for the bad places and a rag.. that works too, just be sure to hand dry it with a chamois, then go over it with acetone

Thanks russ, I appreciate the tips. At this point, I think I might as well buy the 15 or 16 gallon of degreaser to ensure the paint lasts longer and looks better. We'll see.

Also, can I roll and tip paint from a gallon (marine paint) over spray paint sefl etching primer? Or do I have to spray over self etch primer?

you can roll it over the spray etching primer.

I would brush it on thick, then roll over it to get out any runs or streaks if you aren't going to spray it.

russ010 said:
you can roll it over the spray etching primer.

I would brush it on thick, then roll over it to get out any runs or streaks if you aren't going to spray it.

Ok, cool. I guess I'll shoot over to Boatersworld to pick up some paint, probably get some for a good deal as they are in liquidation.

Look at Pettit Easy Poxy and BrightSide Interlux - those are the best paints out there in my opinion... and I got it from there 6 months ago. If you haven't got your primer yet, look to see if they have any Zinc Chromate - that is a VERY GOOD primer and you should be able to get it cheap.

russ010 said:
Look at Pettit Easy Poxy and BrightSide Interlux - those are the best paints out there in my opinion... and I got it from there 6 months ago. If you haven't got your primer yet, look to see if they have any Zinc Chromate - that is a VERY GOOD primer and you should be able to get it cheap.

I think I saw at least Brightside Interlux there yesterday - just hope they have the color I want. If not, might be buying it anyway for 30% off. I bought spray cans of self etching primer, we'll see how many I use of the big cans - I can return the extras. Thanks a lot for helping - God knows I need it.

The red in that brightside looks awesome - it's almost fire red.

I wanted the Khaki BrightSide color, but they didn't have it when i was there... that's why I got the Pettit Easy Poxy in Electric Blue... and man is it electric!

russ010 said:
The red in that brightside looks awesome - it's almost fire red.

I wanted the Khaki BrightSide color, but they didn't have it when i was there... that's why I got the Pettit Easy Poxy in Electric Blue... and man is it electric!

I went with steel gray - I am looking for sleek, we'll see if I achieve it. Gonna start this over in the mod forum - as I have begun the process.

Another question before I go any farther in scraping paint in the inside of the boat. The boat's paint is really bad on the inside, so I want to scrape it down to the bare metal. The previous owner sprayed black, which was over beige, which was over blue, over green, then aluminum. I am going to first use a scraper to get as much as I can. My question is, can I use mineral spirits or paint thinner or something else to make my life easier before moving on to sanding?

yea, you can use that... OR - go to walmart and get one of those little 3m wire sanding pads that you can put into your cordless/corded drill... it works wonders for $5... but get atleast 2-3. You can sand the outside of your boat like that too

russ010 said:
yea, you can use that... OR - go to walmart and get one of those little 3m wire sanding pads that you can put into your cordless/corded drill... it works wonders for $5... but get atleast 2-3. You can sand the outside of your boat like that too

Awesome, anyone have a link?

ETA: How about this? https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1341

ober51ETA: How about this? https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1341[/quote said:
That is what I'm talking about you can get from Walmart

Latest posts