my tinboat and fishing days are over!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jyphotography

Reaction score
it was short lived, and i am really upset right now, but here is the short story....

I decided to take my son (9 y.o.) out on lake acworth. I figured nice small lake, good way to test the boat out and learn how to do some bass fishing. I bought my new rod and reel last night. got everything set up ready to go. got up this morning loaded everything up, went to the store and bought my son a new life jacket that fit well and headed out. It was beautiful out and when we got there it was about 9am. not a boat out there.

we get going and I was learning how to control the trolling motor I was thinking to myself this is going to be a great time. we were about ohhh.. I dont know, a good 200 ft off shore and I was casting and then it happened....

I dont know what happened but I think my clip on chair fell off... I started to fall backwards and caught myself but we were taking on a lot of water... I think i went into panic mode, and my son was yelling.. but I tried turning on the trolling motor to go towards shore but there was so much water in the back. I dont really remember what happened from there but I think I shifted my weight and fell in and so did my son.. the boat capsized... luckily I seen a life jacket and grabbed it... we sat by the boat for about 10 seconds and I was like.. lets swim to the shore.

at first it wasnt bad, I was just holding the life vest... but it seemed like it took forever! by the time i got to shore I was hurting! I dont know if it was because of the cold water or because I am out of shape, but it probably has a lot to do with both. I told my son climb this hill because I am going to pass out. I didnt though.

I got up on the bank and really couldnt think about what just happened. All I was thinking about was my brand new pole I just got was in the bottom of the lake! I ripped my sweatshirt off and all my shirts came off. It was freezing! I looked down at my ankle and some how my sons worm and hook were in my shoe and the line was wrapped around my leg about a twenty times...

I told my son lets go back and get some help.. went back to the car, drove to a house, called the cops and my wife. Luckily this big powerful boat pulled in and I asked them if they could toe my boat back and they did. I was shirtless, soaking wet, and embarrassed!

what I lost was:
Iphone
2 poles
new tackle, and box
trolling motor battery

what I didnt lose is more valuable and that is my son! I dont think he could have made it with out a life vest!

moral of the story...be safe guys!

Oh if you find a abu garcia pole on saturday save it for me!

:shock: Wow,thats terrible.
Really glad to hear the both of you are okay.
So,do you think your boat had a hole in it,just leaking,plug missing?
Probably to early to tell...again glad both of you are alright.

no leaks because I was watching for them... since it was our first time out I wanted to make sure there were none! it was bone dry!

I think it was a 1436 but I am not certain on the width. Is that the smallest because it looks pretty small? I am certain it is 14' though.

yeah its was clost to the water, plus I am 240lbs. I am glad I took the 6hp motor off of it lastnight!

grizzly said:
that is horrible, glad you two are ok though. shake it off! get back out there!

I will most likely.. well not in that **** boat! but right now my pride is hurt! I was just trying to find something fun for me and my son! Man that sucks! he is ok he is like lets go play some baseball today.. I am like dude, Im an emotional wreck right now!
ha

yeah im sure your pulse is still racing. that is just crazy. motivated me to get my bilge pump hooked up permanently, though. right now its wired up but has to be positioned and a hose thrown over the side. but if i ever need it like that i wont have time, so theres my project for the weekend.

dang man! I'm sorry to hear that happened.

Where were you on the lake as if you were leaving the ramp?I'll see if I can't find some of your stuff after our tourney on Saturday. I'll be sure to tell the guys about it as well.

Did you get your boat back? I think I saw that you said someone towed it back in for you.

32" is the smallest floor that most 14' come in... do you have any pictures of it?

russ010 said:
dang man! I'm sorry to hear that happened.

Where were you on the lake as if you were leaving the ramp?I'll see if I can't find some of your stuff after our tourney on Saturday. I'll be sure to tell the guys about it as well.

Did you get your boat back? I think I saw that you said someone towed it back in for you.

32" is the smallest floor that most 14' come in... do you have any pictures of it?

i dont have any photos.. I will take some later.

I was still thinking about coming out and meeting you guys on saturday anyway. I dont think I will be going on any small boats for awhile though but if go south after you leave the dock there is a bridge on your left ... keep going past that and where the land goes back out.. it was basically right on the point.

I will come out and show you if you wouldnt mind!

does this happen often, I really dont think I shifted weight that much but but it was my 250lbs in the back compared to my sons 70lbs in the front!

Jy,

Thank God you guys are ok!!! I can't imagine what that must have been like. I have two small boys myself.

Sorry to hear about your gear, but you know it can be replaced.

If you rethink going out again, I would be happy to give you a couple extra rods and reels I have laying around if that helps get you back on the water any quicker.

God Bless!

Brine said:
Jy,

Thank God you guys are ok!!! I can't imagine what that must have been like. I have two small boys myself.

If you rethink going out again, I would be happy to give you a couple extra rods and reels I have laying around if that helps get you back on the water any quicker.

God Bless!

that would be great but I couldnt!

I am kinda scared to go out now! hahaha.... I really dont wanna give up though! I just need to find something a little more stable! Are you gonna be there saturday? I am gonna come out!

my name is Jason by the way, what is yours?

Jyphotography said:
Brine said:
Jy,

God Bless!

that would be great but I couldnt!

I am kinda scared to go out now! hahaha.... I really dont wanna give up though! I just need to find something a little more stable! Are you gonna be there saturday? I am gonna come out!

my name is Jason by the way, what is yours?

My name is Brian. I go by Brine, because that's how everyone in the South says it.

No, unfortunately I won't be at Acworth. Hope we get to meet someday.

I've got a smaller boat than you do... but I know where you lost it at. You were almost to water that is pretty shallow too.

We'll be at the ramp at 4pm Saturday. I'll go back out afterwards and see if I can't crank something up for ya.

Hmm.... if you're going to be out there - do you mind taking my camera and snapping shots of the fish we catch *(hopefully)*... Don't feel like you have to do it though - but I've got to get more pictures on our website.

stuff happens dont get discouraged. i'd get a wider boat if your a bigger guy, and go out on it a few times sitting on the benches to get used to the balance. the higher you sit the easyer you'll go over

was that your first time out in that boat? may of had a flaw in it

hope russ gets your new pole for ya. where you able to get the boat back home?

i am really thinking that the clip chair that i was sitting in fell off which flipped me backwards... but as i was backwards i was in the very back corner where the battery and the motor was. if I flipped out into the water i think it would have been fine but i was holding on for dear life and it filled quick!

@russ010 dude, I am a photographer.. granted, I have never shot this kind of thing before but I would be happy to shoot the event for you!

@loggerhead mike yeah this was the first time!

1/2 ounce weight just above a large treble hook will work for finding poles and tackle boxes.If you wanna try for the battery use a grapple style anchor and rope,of course.I'd try to nab it all.I just hate to loose stuff in the water.If you have divers goggles, you can float those on the water, and possibly see whats on the bottom.That is, if it isn't to deep.

haha... believe me, all it is is point and shoot. We just take pictures of the fish the guys catch and post them along with the results.

If you haven't seen my site - it's https://www.bassanglersofnorthgeorgia.com... All of the background pictures are one's that I took from Lathem Reservoir. If you go to the Results page, then at the bottom of the Yahoola results, you'll see the pics that I took - well one of them. The one of me was taken by another guy with my camera.

Latest posts