pulling a boat with a car

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deermaster

Reaction score
all i got is an oldsmobile cutlass ciera, and im looking for a trailer hitch to use. first question though, is it possible to pull a 14' foot boat in a car, and not have the boat drag my poor little car down the ramp?
second question, which hitch should i get?
https://www.racepages.com/includes/secure/popup.php?type=more&image=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5yYWNlcGFnZXMuY29tL3Byb2R1Y3RzL2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kaW1hZ2UvaW1hZ2VzL3JlZXNlLzg4MDAxLmpwZw==&title=UmVlc2UgSGl0Y2g=&text=UkVFU0UgQ0xBU1MgSUkgTVVMVEkgRklUIE9NTkkgSElUQ0gsIFBPV0RFUkNPQVRFRCBCTEFDSyAtLSAxLjI1IFJlY2VpdmVyLCBBIFByZW1pdW0gR3JhZGUgSGl0Y2gsIEhpdGNoIEJveCBDb3ZlciBJbmNsdWRlZCwgUXVpY2sgQW5kIEVhc3kgSW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uLCBObyBTcGVjaWFsIFRvb2xzIE5lY2Vzc2FyeSBGb3IgSW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uLCBXaXRoIE1hbnVmYWN0dXJlcidzIExpbWl0ZWQgTGlmZXRpbWUgV2FycmFudHk=
this is the only kind i can find, several companies make these, all are similar. is this my only choice? is it a good choice? thanks, mike.

I saw a guy pulling a 1448 at a local electric only lake the only day - and I'm pretty sure he was in a newer Ford Taurus.
As long as the boat's not too heavy, you shouldn't have any problems pulling it.

yeah should not be a problem, that has a decent V6. but i'd stick to paved ramps only. my 2wd truck has trouble on some of the dirt ramps around here.

Here's the hitch. https://hitchmart.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=40&catId=1

I pull a 1000lbs with my 1998 Cavalier,so your Olds should be capable of pulling 300 to 600 pounds of boat and trailer.

thanks for the link. im pretty ignorant about trailers. for the wiring, is this all i would need? https://hitchmart.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=1144
do i need any thing else besides the wiring in the link, the ball, and the hitch? thanks for the help.

I used to tow my 14' deep-vee with a 4 cylinder Wrangler without any problems. That includes a 9.9 motor, two batteries, trolling motor, etc. and two semi-fat guys.

I pulled my 14' with my family in the car and gear for a weeks vacation across PA's I80 with my volvo 850. I got about 25mpg for the trip average as well. The boat was fully decked with a 25HP on the back and filled with baby stuff (playpen, high chair, etc). I get a kick at the looks and comments at the lakes and river when I pull up with my boat on the back of the car from guys with their big trucks. As long as your car has the motor and the brakes to handle towing you should be fine. The information is probably in your owners manual, that is where I found some good info when I made the leap you are making.

I ended up taking a ride to my local uhaul center. They had all I needed in stock, and I installed it myself. If you are a bit squeemish about doing it yourself they will install it as well for a price.

All cars/trucks have a towing rating, look for it in the owners manual.

A great place to get your car set up for towing is U-Hual. They have everything you need.

Is that car front wheel drive, if so your do well on the ramps provided you keep the weels dry.

Hello Deermaster. I tow with a little 2.3 ford ranger. 1448 with a 25 hp, heavy 2x2 steel trailer with 15" steel wheel's. I esimate it loaded about 900-1200 Lbs. Never had any problem's but I'd guess my gearing is better designed for it. Your 6 cyl will definately have enough power, it's the transmission that's the weak point. If you start to smell a very distinct oder, that's probably what it is. Heat is what harm's it towing. You could get a tran's temp gauge, or a tran's cooler if it worry's you, but I think you'll be OK. Your setup doesn't sound that heavy to cause problem's.

I put a hitch on a Toyota Corolla and towed my 15 ft jon without any problems, funny thing was the boat was longer than the car and I got a lot of looks. It was funny lookin yet served the purpose very well, ya gotta go with what ya got to get that boat floatin and that's the bottom line you can tow your boat with your car and have fun doing it..... :D

I've got you all beat. I hauled a Grumman 1542 with a 30 horse Evinrude around on the back of a 1985 Honda Civic for 13 years and only replaced the clutch once. And that boat was on some really steep Tennessee ramps at least once a week, often more.

I pulled my boat around with the Polaris the other day. Works great, and even easier to manuever backing up. Im sure it will be fine. Like others said, go to a uHaul and let them install it for you. Everything you need will be there.

Hanr3 said:
All cars/trucks have a towing rating, look for it in the owners manual.

A great place to get your car set up for towing is U-Hual. They have everything you need.

Is that car front wheel drive, if so your do well on the ramps provided you keep the weels dry.

I'll agree with everything but the Uhaul part....

uhaul has a HORRIBLE reputation for installing hitches... Do an internet search of camping sites and see what they have to ssay about the subject...

Odds are you have a local trailer company that will do a better job cheaper.

Latest posts