Aluminum power drifter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbeausol

Reaction score
I am currently investigating the potential to build a power drifter style boat out of aluminum, which I intend on outfitting with a jet powered outboard somewhere in the range of 40hp at the pump. My intentions for this boat include transporting up to 3 anglers:
1) drifting down up to class III rivers without power using oars
2) powering up rivers with up to class II rapids
3) using this boat on lakes and protected areas on the ocean with minimal waves.

My research has led me to a design that would include a center line length around 15-18’, side height of between 21-24”, and a bottom width of 54”. The boat would have a rocker in the front like a drift boat to handle drifting downstream, and a slight 3” rocker in the rear. I have yet to find a manufacturer of plans, and if possible, i would prefer to buy the aluminum precut. Here are some images of boats that I would ultimately like to replicate in some way:
DSCN1110.JPG_550.jpg

ed1.jpg

ed2.jpg

Any input is appreciated!

Welcome to the site.
Thats a nice looking rig,you want to build.
Kinda a modified drift boat,sorry I'm know help on where to start looking.
Where are you from maybe someone can tell you of a boat builder.

being from the northwest i have seen these kind of boats try going to rogue marine web site and look at the stealth it is the same boat you are thinking about building if i built one i would think twice about the rocker the purpose of the rocker is to make it turn faster (easier) in white water but will cause you to need deeper water to run in and take off in as the back of the boat will be sucked down easier i looked at the rogue stealth at a boat show it has if i remember correctly maybe a inch of rocker if any and they advertise only 4 inchs of water needed on plane these guys dont kid

thanks for the input,this makes sense, however how much will the lack of rocker hurt me when drifting downstream?

with the bow turned up u probably wont notice a big diference unless you are in serious white water trying to manuver but then again if you ran up it you should be able to run down it. According to rogue marine it rows like a drift boat! and those turn easy. Rowing long distance on a lake sucks though. I would call customer service at rogue marine 541-956-6716 they are out of Grants Pass,OR they would be able to answer for sure. Look up the Rogue River in Oregon to see where their boats are used. it is a awesome river. it has some narly white water

Latest posts