New guy needs some sound advice.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinoquawka

Reaction score
Hey fellas. Just found the site today and I think it's great. I don't have any pictures of my boat yet, but when I get started working on it I'll be sure and post. I have a 1977 16' Polarkraft jon. I got it on trade from a friend of mine. No motor came with it. 2 years ago , I ran a 1986 Merc 9.9 on it. It did fine if we were puttin around in the back waters on the Mississippi, but I needed something bigger. I came across a deal on a 1984-1985? Evinrude 50 horse for $400. Runs good. One big problem though: My boat is a short transom, motor is a long shaft. The only time we had it out last year, it cavitated so much water over the transom that we nearly sank. So here is my situation. I can either build up the transom or I can switch the motor over to short shaft. What do you think? Which one would be easier? The transom could use some work but I think it might be easier to fix it than to build it up. Any advice anyone could give me would be great. :beer: :beer:

I have looked at jack plates but I either hava hard time finding one that is big enought for a 50 or they want an arm and a leg for it! The guy I got the boat from ran a 55 horse shorty evinrude on it. I think the parts will interchange. Thanks for the advice.

I think the transom build would be easier.
Theres a few of them mods on this site,they turned out real nice.

Could any of you tell me where the transom mods are on this site so I can have a look? Appreciate it.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4278&hilit=jackplate+transom
Theres more,this should give you an idea.

Thanks for the links Zum. I've recruited a friend of mine and I think we'll be converting the transom to 20 inches soon. That is, if the weather ever lets us. #-o

Latest posts