1973 Sears aluminum 14ft semi V - Keel Cap Issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stryker777

Reaction score
Got the boat and started stripping it down. It has so much paint and tar on it, this is going to take a while. While stripping it, I noticed my keel cap was cracked all the way across about 3 ft back. The boat is not leaking yet (thank God) but I need to fix this issue. I have read about keel doublers and that you can drill out some of the old rivets, put the doubler over the broken area, and rivet it all back together with the aluminum doubler in place. The problem I have run into is finding these keel doublers. Does anyone have any idea where to find them or any advise of what I should do. I have read welding will not hold long term, so riveted doublers are the best.
Thanks for any input!

Thank you. I can weld it myself, just had read that it was a longer lasting fix to use the doubler. Guess i will go shape some aluminum and weld it on after I get it cleaned properly.

Finally took a picture to add on here lol. This shows the crack across and how worn through it is in another place. Got it for free (plus $10 for the registered letter). Going to turn it into a small bass boat for my daughters and I to go fishing in.

Thanks again.

IMG00146-m.jpg

Stryker777 said:
Finally took a picture to add on here lol. This shows the crack across and how worn through it is in another place. Got it for free (plus $10 for the registered letter). Going to turn it into a small bass boat for my daughters and I to go fishing in.

Thanks again.

exact same problem I have in a 1966 semi v. I am going to weld it and grind it and then weld some 3/16" angle over that about 3" long.

Good idea. I think I will try that. Also, I am thinking of redoing the 4 rivets closest to the crack to tighten it all back up before I do the welding. Thanks for the input and let me know how it goes for you when you get it done. I am sure you will be done before I get all the tar off the boat lol.

Does anyone know the proper name for this strip that is cracked? I would like to just buy a new piece and re-rivet the whole thing. I just want the boat to be right if I am going to put the time into it.
Thanks!

Latest posts