Advise needed on new boat selection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally J

Reaction score
Well folks I think I've narrowed down my choice for the new boat. I'm leaning towards a G3 model 175. What I am having trouble deciding is one whether to go with the PF layout or the reguar 175 which has a more conventional bass boat layout. Here are links to the 2 models.

https://www.g3boats.com/EagleSeries/175PF/

or https://www.g3boats.com/EagleSeries/175/

The PF model does have some room to stand in the front but not as much as the 175 bass layout. Each has advantages and I'm not sure which one I'm going to get. I think that Yahaha 60 hp 4-stroke would be OK power for either boat as they have the same hull and weight about 900 pounds (dry hull wt). However, I also keep hearing to power a boat with the highest rating the manufacturer will allow. The PF model will take 75 HP and the 175 bass boat will take 90 HP. The Yamaha 60 HP four stroke weighs in at around 237 lbs. If I go up to a 75 or 90 in the 4-stroke the weight goes up another 100+ pounds. For trailering I want to go as light as possible. And since most of my fishing will be alone I want to keep the weight down.

I will be multi species fishing but I do have an interest in learning to bass fish. But since I like being able to sit back & put my feet up the PF offers some advantages. Or just get an ice chest with the bass model & use it to prop up the feet. The local bass fishermen are telling me to go with the bass layout.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

The Eagle series has allot more storage than the PF series...a Big plus in my book. Plus that center rod locker is huge too. On my 165 I crammed 13 rods in it and 2 of them were 7'6'. I think with the PFyou lose allot of space with those bait buckets. Both good boats..........

I say go with the Eagle with the biggest motor. 100 pounds more towing is not that big a difference when towing In my opinion.

Thanks for the advise. I am going to go with the bass boat instead of the PF. Will get either the 165 or 175. Last questions right now are carpet or vinyl and also the power.

The vinyl would be a lot less maintenance since you can just run it through the car wash but I'm not sure on the longevity of it. If it is like any of the other boats that I have seen with it, it is sort of like vinyl flooring for your house glued to the interior. I suspect it probably would last just as long as carpet, though.

If you are going with the 175, you will probably wish that you had bought the 90 if you go with the 60. That's a pretty good load for a 60 when you get all of your gear in it.