MDF

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunnels

Reaction score
I tkink I know the answer but.......I have sheets of 3/4" MDF that I got for free. Would it be O.K. to use it for storage lockers and/or decks. I would use a marine epoxy on it first.
Thanks

I think you know the answer too, it's "NO". MDF (medium density fiber) is not suitable for marine applications! Even treated with resin, or epoxy, it would be a waste of your time, and effort. Hope this helps, Scott (Oh and I can already hear someone saying they used it, and never had a problem. Just trying to save wasted time, and troubles).

I don't think I would. Even if you do seal it, there is the occasional dropped pliers etc. If moisture gets to it, well I'm sure you have seen what it does when it gets wet, not pretty..... But it does make some good speaker boxes maybe you could sell it to the local stereo shops?

NOOOOOO!!!

Use OSB before you use that garbage.....

That stuff is about only good for making moldings with intricate shapes that don't always work correctly with grained wood.

HEY, what'd you call me? Oh, it says OSB, sorry! I wouldn't recomend, OSB either. The small amount more $ you spend, will way more than make up difference, in the longevity, of the product. 1/2" or 3/4" plywood with a quality water sealer, should do just fine, until you can afford something better. Scott

rome8899 said:
HEY, what'd you call me? Oh, it says OSB, sorry!
Geez. I need to send you another pair of glasses, or you are going to keep butchering my posts, and think I am out to get you at all costs..... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(kidding). :wink:

I wouldn't recomend, OSB either.
I wouldn't neither, but if one is intent on messing something up, lets at least mess it up to a lesser extent....

No surprise. Thanks for your opinions. I knew what the answers were before I posted but I was hoping that someone had an idea how I could use it. I think it now becomes garage shelving. Thanks for not beatin' me up too bad. Remember: There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots!! :oops: Thanks again.