Newbie with new boat project 1971 Sears 14' semi V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeh29072

Reaction score
Been lurking for about a week now. What a great site. I bought this boat from a friend of mine. Boat, original Sears trailer-- which needs work and a 4 HP Evinrude Lightwin-- he kind of threw the motor in it was given to him and when he got it he could not get it started but he only tried to pull the cord and did not fool with it much, all for $100. This boat does not have any leaks I took it out yesterday. I have 4 kids 2 girls and 2 boys so I will have 2 children in the boat with me while fishing. I have the following questions:
-The gunwhale on the port side is bent-- I read on here you could bend it back with a mallet and 2x4 any suggestions on this? The bracket for the oar lock is also bent I think if I bend the bracket this will align the gunwhale.
- There is a dent in the bottom of the boat also see pics would you beat this out or leave it?-- my fear is popping rivets out if I beat it out.
- What mods do you suggest?
- Are the seats structural? see pics I think I could take the rivets out of the seats themselves and then mount a bracket to what the seat was mounted on for flooring seats etc.
- I need to replace the wood on the back of the transom-- my though on this was to basically cover the back of the transom with a painted peice of plywood and have another peice of plywood on the inside sandwiching the aluminum then putting the aluminum plate that is there now on the inside to mount the motor to.
- What are your thought on adding a strip of wood on the inside below the gunwhales to mount fish finders, rod holders etc.-- I'm thinking of a 1x3 painted-- this would also serve to strengthen the gunwhales-- however I'm concerend about adding the weight of the wood.
- Lastly painting-- the bottom of the boat at one time was painted with white antifoul paint. I was thinking of going white on the bottom and blue above the rails-- any thoughts on prep or paint?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

Attachments

• Boat pic 1.jpg
    Boat pic 1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 724
  • Boat pic 2.jpg
    Boat pic 2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 723
  • Boat pic 4.jpg
    Boat pic 4.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 723
  • Boat pic 5.jpg
    Boat pic 5.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 723
  • Boat Pic 6.jpg
    Boat Pic 6.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 723
You can use a piece of 2x4 around a foot long it knock out the dent.Lay it on edge across the dent and gently tap the 2x4 with a hammer.

Ben2go- thanks for the reply I was under the impression you used the 2x4 as a "backer" to stop the aluminum from going to far-- this will be a lot easier. Thanks, Jeff

I fixed an old canoe that had bent gunwhales. I clamped a long piece of 2 x 4 across the bend (on the bent side) and then used a large C clamp on the middle. I would snug it down, wrap on both sides with a large rubber mallet and then reclamp and repeat. with careful attention to what I was doing I got things real close.

jeh29072 said:
Ben2go- thanks for the reply I was under the impression you used the 2x4 as a "backer" to stop the aluminum from going to far-- this will be a lot easier. Thanks, Jeff

You're welcome.Glad I could help.

I learned to fish in that boat. Its a great model, very solid, will fly with a 25 hp on the back. Me and my father eventually slapped a small aluminum deck on the front and still have it, round tube dinky trailer and all.

My advice is not to overdo it. It is almost a glorified ghanoe.

Here is what I would do, and its not a huge variation from what we have done. Small front deck made from aluminum or wood, your choice, going just beyond the first bench seat in the front, just use the bench as your support. Put a little hatch up front so you dont lose that wee bit of storage, use it as a dry box. Take a transome mount TM and turn it around and then put it up there as well with a momentary on/off switch wired in. Of course mount a seat up there on a post.

Between the 1st and 2nd seats put a nice sized cooler. If you take a 2nd guy fishing he sits there as its where it balances the boat best. Or maybe have both kids sit on that middle bench and push the cooler up so they have room for their legs. While underway they will be sitting somewhere in that area. Leave all the bench seats. I'm sure they are structural, and while you may be able to rig ways to strenghten the sides you just never will make this into a real bass boat, besides they will hold the cooler in place better in case you get out in rough water.

Battery goes in front of the rear bench, but a swivel chair mounted directly on the rear bench and offset to the right so that the tiller guy can has room to manuever. Gas tank in the back.

Depthfinder can be mounted on the front deck, although you can do as you stated and put a peice of wood going up the gunwhale if thats your thing. At one point we mounted the fishfinder on the oar lock, but I didnt like that. Rod holders are mounted going up the gunwhales. The main thing is, this is a beautiful boat in that it is simple, sturdy and efficient. Otherwise, its the ugliest thing in the world. But you can catch some mean fish with it, super shallow draft, launchable anywhere and we have taken it on lake kissimmee in huge waves - not smart - but it wasnt even unstable there.

For the transom, I dont think you need to do the entire thing in wood. See where the old wood was in that diamond type shape? Thats how it is to this day on ours and its been pretty sturdy. It did create a stress crack on the top, but we have that big old 25 on there and it took many years of trailering thousands of miles - think it was from not using a transom saver. But that was easily fixed by riveting a piece of angle iron running along the top of the transom.

I have the same boat, just 2 years different in the other mod section:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7972

Still sanding and planning but I think it is going to be a fun project. This is my first semi-v and first mod. Good luck! I look forward to seeing your ideas.

Project has been very slow-- just because I have been so busy. Finished the transom tonight. I used 3/4" birch plywood-- actually used an old cabinet door I bought from Habitat for Humanity for a $1. I sandwiched the plywood between the aluminum and then put the 1/4" aluminum plate that was on the boat on the inside. Transom is now rock solid. Progress is slow but at least I can get her in the water this weekend.

Attachments

• transom 1.jpg
    transom 1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 720
  • transom 2.jpg
    transom 2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 720
My 2 cents... with those little tikes I wouldn't do a raised deck. Do a low floor, that will help keep em' from going in the drink.

Try to do as much construction as you can in aluminum to save weight. Get a rivet gun if you don't have one.

I agree, low floor.
Click on my Boat link in my signature. It will take you to my build, a 14' Alumacraft boat.

Plywood weighs 25 pounds per 1/4" in thickness for a 4x8 sheet. If you use 2 4x8 sheets of 3/8" plywood the wood weighs roughly 75 pounds. You wont use two full sheets. Plus wood is considered neutrally bouyant.

If you remove the bench seats you need to retain the flotation foam, plus strengthen the gunwalls.

I prefer not to have the bench seats, trip hazard.

Latest posts