Fat Old Men

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron42261

Reaction score
Im looking for another boat.
My old 76 14 ft.V. B. Richline is pretty rough and not much room .
I have a few ?
I have a new Mercuy 9.9 short shaft - can I turn it into a long shaft ?
The new Jon Boats have like 20in. transoms

How big a boat would the 9.9 run decent?

I fish on the lake mostly the 14ft. length isnt so bad but would like something wider. Hows a Flat bottom on the lake - big wakes ?
I had always wanted a Flat bottom

Im not to worried about turning it into a bass boat - building decks.
But I have a front mount TM I want to mount and 2 deep cycle batteries.
Weight wise I want somthing that will carry 2 fat old men about 600lbs.
+ gear safely.

Thanks Ron

The smallest I would go with is a 1448 mv jon. But a 1648 will be a lot more stable & have a lot more room.
A 9.9 will push a 1448 with that load, but may not get you on plane. A 20 or 25 hp is what you need if you want to get up & go.
Unless you are only on sheltered water, get a mv jon instead of a straight flat bottom. If you even get in a serious chop, you will be greatful you have an mv.

welcome ,  First of all a flat bottom is the way to go they are more stable and the wider the better.I went with the idea of getting a 1448 and they didn't have one so i left with a 1648 mv. I so happy that they didn't have a 1448.BUY the biggest boat that you can afford........... Because when you get on the water you realise how small you bout is.All so i would use the motor i have until you can up grade.
THANKS Caveman

I got a chance to tour the Alumnacraft factory in Ark., and was really impressed with the facility. I was thinking about a 1542, which they have a few of at Academy (a regional sporting goods store). It is a flat bottom, rather than a semivee. I am 285#, and this boat seems to have the capacity for me, my dad, and our gear. What is the opinion out there of Alumnacraft boats?

Latest posts