1436 LW Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyHokie

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new to the tinboats forum and my 13 year old Alumacraft is ready for an overhaul. Here are a couple of pictures of the original setup.

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture27021-dscn0611.jpg

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture27020-july4-7.jpg

I had the deck flooring in place since new and have completed the removal.

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26960-dsc02384.jpg

After viewing the fine work by you guys here, I have decided to install raised decking. During demolition of the old flooring, most of the screws broke off and I had to grind the screw shanks that were attached to the ribs down smooth. After that was complete, I power washed the boat and started thinking about a design...

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26959-dsc02383.jpg

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26974-dsc02390.jpg

I drew up several different designs, but once I actually started the work I scrapped my drawings and planned out a front deck mod that may be removable.

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26969-dsc02395.jpg

I started out by cutting 2x4's and resting them on the ribs. The two 2 x 4's will serve as support for the deck and the front seat. I used simpson hangers from Lowes to set the seat blocks and nailed it up tight.
cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26970-dsc02396.jpg

Here is a view from the bottom that shows the hanger support. I had used simpson supports before on a roof and they work really well and speed up the work.

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26971-dsc02397.jpg

For the next step, I needed to mark and drill the holes for my seat mount.

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26967-dsc02393.jpg

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26977-dsc02400.jpg

There are a ton of options you can do to that boat.. make sure you look at all of the mods and incorporate a little of everything into yours

Russ010 you're correct. The mods that the folks have shared are amazing and I'll use bits and pieces from many. The wiring, trolling motor information and carpet details are especially helpful...

Once the seat mount holes were tapped with the drill press, I set it in place and temporarily set up the seat.

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26978-dsc02401.jpg

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26979-dsc02402.jpg

The 11" riser may prove to be a little high and I may switch it out to a 8", but I can deal with that later..

How wide is it across the top and how wide is the floor?

I think you'll be fine with that 11" riser. But you really want to be careful that high sitting if you are not going to actually attach the supports to your frame. You might want to think about rigging something up that keeps it in place - I had to do that to my deck. I ended up putting a strip across the front bench because anytime I leaned back in my seat the whole platform would move.

Yep - any movement will be the deciding factor on where and how I finish it off. The bottom is 36" and at the top of the ribs 48". I'm also thinking about putting in a hatch for dry storage up front between the seat and the front bow shelf. I have room for a 10.5 D x 16 W x 36 L max plastic type bin.

I will add some additional bracing to support the deck before locking down the plywood floor. Most likely, I'll use 2 X 2's.

My next step was to create a template for the plywood decking.

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26981-dsc02404.jpg

Watching the Masters delayed boat work on Sunday... After all that excellent golf, the ending turned into a hack fest. The pressure got to all 3 (Perry, Campbell and Caberra).

I cut the 1/2 plywood with my cordless mini circular saw...

cowboyhokie-albums-cowboyhokie-picture26986-dsc02407.jpg

Next, I'll sand the edges to smooth out the imperfections and rough splintery stuff. I also will cut the sections for the back seat area and I may do the middle bench around the livewell too.

You should be fine with that riser... my boat is 54" across the top with a 36" floor and it's very stable.. just be careful the first time out. What you've done so far is great. And believe me, the more storage you have, the better off you will be in the long run, so go ahead and plan for it.

Yup, having just renovated and hoping to finish up, when my seats get here, my own 1436, looks to this untrained eye like you've got a good job going of it.

yea, measure outside edge to outside edge... that is the determining factor for me as to how high to deck it... I wouldn't go any higher than you did, and what you've done looks good. If you find that you are too front heavy as far as weight - cut down those 2x4s to 2x2 with your circular saw and you'll lose a little more weight. But since you are using 1/2" ply, you shouldn't notice that big of a deal.

This set up will be a lot lighter than my old one. I had decking boards all across the floor and side walls front and back. It was a beast to get up/down the steep banks of the river while unloading and trailering. But even then it floated and motored along very well.

Latest posts