12 ft jon...21mph sound good?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolfanpete

Reaction score
i recently got an 18 hp tohatsu 4 stroke, I have it pushing a 12 jon. i was wondering if 21 mph with 4 people in it sounds about right? with one i got it up to 24, 2 people 22. i thought it would go a little faster. what do you all think?

Would you really feel safe going much faster than that?

There is really no way to tell if you can get more until you get a tach. Tinytach (google it) is a good one that gives you a good reading, and can be moved from boat to lawnmower etc. Once you have the WOT RPM's, and the prop pitch, you can figure out where you need to go to gain more speed.

Quackrstackr said:
Sounds like a swamping in the making to me. :shock:
I'm with you on that.... All i can see is 4 guys around 175 each in a 12' jon boat I hope they are wearing their vests

Wayne

Wait! You had 4 in a 12 footer????

Wow. I wouldn't put any more than 4 in my 15 footer. I usually try to max it at 3, even though I believe it is rated for 4.

yeah, i had the kids and the wife in it. we did pretty good, one day it was really choppy out there and it was fine. it isn't really narrow, it's pretty wide.

I got 21.8 mph in my Tracker V12 this Easter, that's with a Johnson 15 4stroke and 2 @ 175lb guys.

Crashbuilder

wow, 3 people in my 14' john seems way overloaded, 4 in a 12 is just stupid!

21 sounds about right, my 14 only does 25 with 3 people and 29 with 1 with a 25hp because my prop is too shallow. you need to get a tack, check the wot rpm range for your engine and get the prop right if you want it to go faster. i bet it accelerates nice with one person though don't it? my rig feels like im driving a freaking jet ski with one person lol.

Buy some good life jackets for those kids.
I took a look around the internet, I could not find a single 12' jon boat that is rated for an 18 HP, let alone an 18 hp 4 Stroke that weighs 115 pounds+.
The highest rating I found for a 12' jon was 10 hp.
So, IMO, you have way to much HP and weight on the transom of that boat.
Throw in 4 people and I would say you are really overweight and just asking for trouble let alone then opening it up to see how fast it will go.
If you are going to run an 18 hp and haul 4 people around, you need a bigger boat.

oh i just realized your running a 4poke, 21 is probably all youl get out of it. that thing probably weighs as much or more then my 25hp, and i was thinking the smaller motor was your saving grace for loading that many people on board lol. 21 is pretty fast for how heavy you are with 4 people and a 4 stroke.

how low does that thing sit with 4 people? my boat runs dangerously low with 3 people and my 100+ lb motor on the back, like seriously 2 or 3 inches from the water line. i mean if i lean to hard one way i could easily swamp it. i would imagine your boat should have sunk by now!

took the whole family once, was not comfortable at all. won't be doing that anymore. But it fishes 3 pretty well, and comfortable. and yes, we do have life vests.

Yea 12' may be too small, and the motor may be too big, however if its what you have and you use your noodle. Take the family and go enjoy yourself.

The most important thing in life is for you and your family go have fun together. NOTHING beats time with the family.

Latest posts