Livewell questions...??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOSKN5

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a homemade removeable livewell for my boat and I have a few questions...

First what would be the smallest possible cooler that I could use to hold 5 fish in a tournament??

Second about how much extra weight am I looking at with this livewell on the boat holding water, fish etc.... approximation??

Thanks for the help with this...

I would say that you need at least a 40 qt cooler bigger if possible.
If you fill the cooler almost full figure 64lbs for 8 gallons of water..
my boat has 2 20gallon live wells in it
Wayne

Well.. if you look on the home page you'll see my post about building a portable livewell. I used a 25 gal rubbermaid container and thought that would work well enough - and it works great as long as you don't have 3 fish larger than 5lbs... I have had up to 6-7, 1-2lb bass and it's fine.

I had a tourney at a lake where one boat pulled out 5 fish all over 5lbs, and they have a 120qt cooler... and they looked cramped in that. I upgraded to a 70qt cooler, and if you plan on catching a big limit and want to keep them alive, you don't want to go smaller than that. I am more than likely going to be upgrading to a 120qt if I ever find that the one I have won't keep them all alive.

Just to add a thought. I don't fish tournaments very often so I am going to make a portable pretty much as russ describes but It will be in storage most of the time. I take a small 30 to 40 qt. cooler full of ice for non tournament fishing. There going to end up in the frying pan anyway. (panfish an salmon)

dunk50 said:
Just to add a thought. I don't fish tournaments very often so I am going to make a portable pretty much as russ describes but It will be in storage most of the time. I take a small 30 to 40 qt. cooler full of ice for non tournament fishing. There going to end up in the frying pan anyway. (panfish an salmon)

exactly what I do in my big boat. cept' I use a little rock salt with the ice to freeze em.

Macgyver said:
dunk50 said:

exactly what I do in my big boat. cept' I use a little rock salt with the ice to freeze em.

ROCK SALT, do you suppose watersofter salt would work. I buy 10 #50 bags at a time of mortons pellets??? never thought of using salt!

not sure about the water softener salt. is it in large pieces? just like making ice cream , salt and ice will freeze whatever , solid. when I go camping , I'll go trout fishing every morning, bring them back , gut them and then put them in an ice , rock salt mix , they freeze up and keep for days .

Latest posts