Starting 1st mod project/ need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdfrye

Reaction score
I am starting a modification project on my 14' v-hull. I have done some research and have bought materials. I got pressure treated 1/2" plywood for the floor. What I bought to seal the wood was Bondo fiberglass resin (recomended by the builder of the ODF{Olive Drab Floater} a well known mod project and a very helpful resource). I do not know if this the best way to go? I did not get the fiber glass fabric to lay in the resin as I am not patching the wood. I just want to get a good seal/ preservative on the wood as it is a floor. I intend to cover the wood w/ carpet, and also want to make sure the glue will not breakdown any sealer I use. :wink: Please help!

Welcome to the site.
You may want to read up on presure treated wood and aluminum before you use it,even if your going to resin it.Might want to use regular plywood.

Thanks for the reply. Is there an issue with the P/T plywood I may not be aware of other than weight? I am building the framing out of 1" aluminium L frame.
I really find this site awesome, and have gleaned a lot of info already. I did find an earlier post that addressed the resin issue, and returned the stuff today. I picked up regular Thompson's water seal, which was recommended.

cdfrye said:
Thanks for the reply. Is there an issue with the P/T plywood I may not be aware of other than weight? I am building the framing out of 1" aluminium L frame.
I really find this site awesome, and have gleaned a lot of info already. I did find an earlier post that addressed the resin issue, and returned the stuff today. I picked up regular Thompson's water seal, which was recommended.

From what I read here, PT wood will cause corrosion when it comes in contact with aluminum. Please correct me if I'm wrong but that is the reason why people have used regular ply treated with water sealer.

Interesting info. I would like to know more about this.
:cry: too bad for me I cut the back floor out already (4x8 sheet cost me $29).

Copper reacts with Aluminum. The treated lumber will either be treated with Chromated Copper Arsenate, Alkaline Copper Quat, or Copper Azole. The last two have even higher contents of copper than the old Chromated Copper Arsenate. Avoid copper and aluminum.

Thanks a lot guys. Wow! I just read about the changes made in P/T wood over the last couple of years. I had no idea. I owe you guys one, this could have been a very bad mistake.
Sorry I dont have any pic of the boat yet, the site will not upload my files, they are too big.
Here is what I got- (2004) 14' Princecraft "Yukon" w/ a 15hp Merc. Transom steering, and a 36 lb. thrust minn. on the transom. Open V-hull design w/ benches.
What I am trying to do- Build a floor in the rear, and add hatches, maybe a live well??, looking into a platform on the bow, or more storage. Carpet all over or just on the floors- don't know yet? How heavy is the carpeting?
Main concerns now are weight and durability of materials. I live in Colorado, fairly dry and sunny(except for the 3 feet of snow we just got). The boat stays in the garage during winter. The boat is fairly new and in great shape, I want to do quality work that will last for years to come. Thanks for the help.

Stryker777 said:
Copper reacts with Aluminum. The treated lumber will either be treated with Chromated Copper Arsenate, Alkaline Copper Quat, or Copper Azole. The last two have even higher contents of copper than the old Chromated Copper Arsenate. Avoid copper and aluminum.

Correct.Copper and aluminum meet causing a reaction simular to what happens in a battery.It doesn't take long to eat through the softer aluminum.

cdfrye said:
Thanks a lot guys. Wow! I just read about the changes made in P/T wood over the last couple of years. I had no idea. I owe you guys one, this could have been a very bad mistake.
Sorry I dont have any pic of the boat yet, the site will not upload my files, they are too big.
Here is what I got- (2004) 14' Princecraft "Yukon" w/ a 15hp Merc. Transom steering, and a 36 lb. thrust minn. on the transom. Open V-hull design w/ benches.
What I am trying to do- Build a floor in the rear, and add hatches, maybe a live well??, looking into a platform on the bow, or more storage. Carpet all over or just on the floors- don't know yet? How heavy is the carpeting?
Main concerns now are weight and durability of materials. I live in Colorado, fairly dry and sunny(except for the 3 feet of snow we just got). The boat stays in the garage during winter. The boat is fairly new and in great shape, I want to do quality work that will last for years to come. Thanks for the help.

Where in Colorado are you? I'm in Pueblo. Maybe i could lend you a hand, if we are close enough.

Since you are coating your lumber with resin you may be ok with the lumber you have. I would just question if it is ok to coat PT lumber with the resin. What does the packaging say?

Latest posts