carpet question question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my deck cut and im about to screw it down. I have a question about the carpet tho.

I got marine grade from lowes. Did you guys cut it to the exact surface area of the deck, where it just sits on top and comes just to the edge or did cut it a little big and tuck it down over the edge?

I haven't looked at your build, and I assume the deck is plywood. If so, can you wrap the carpet around the deck and staple from underneath? or does that prohibit you from then securing the deck the way you had planned?

grizzly said:
overlap the edges, contact cement, staples. makes a clean finish

Yes it is plywood. if you over lap and use staples, then how do you secure the deck to the frame.

what i had in my head was secure the deck to the frame and then install the carpet to cover the screws. Is that how you guys did it? or are ur screws exposed?

i used stainless screws with those beveled finishing washers, one on each end of the benchs. there are other options but i like to be able to remove it easily if i ever need to, and i think they look good. i figure theres about 2000 exposed rivets on my boat, and these screws look better than they do. i'd do it the same on my next boat. if you look close at my pics you might see them, but they are hard to notice, even in person. page 2, 3rd pic from bottom.

It seems there are many ways to achieve what you want to do. I would suggest throwing some photos up for us to see.

If your build has hatches in the deck, you may want to screw it from below in the hatch. I would avoid carpeting over the screws in case you ever want to remove the deck for maintenence. if you think about it, 4 screws should hold it in place depending on the layout. If you are worried about it bouncing when you walk on it, you can lay down some of the sticky foam tape which is about an 1/2 thick.. that will cushion it and not give you a chatter.

I am going to build a front deck with two open areas to slid vest in from the floor level and hold them in place with one of the black nets.. easy to get to and will keep them from flying out under way.

Latest posts