Older Narrow 12' Aluminum Boat weight distribution

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_boat_new_smile

Reaction score
I have an older narrow 12' aluminum boat. I am much heavier than my son. Is it better to have more weight in the back near the transom or in the middle/front? Since we tumped it over, I want to make sure before we get back out.

I have the trolling motor on the back, but I can mount it on the front and drive from the middle seat.

Thanks

I've got a narrow 1232... I have a 7" pedestal seat on the rear bench, with just a carpeted piece of plywood on the floor between the rear bench and the middle bench.
In the front floor, I have a piece of plywood with a 12" pedestal (the black type like you get at wal-mart)... I've had a person in the front, and one in the rear with no problems. I did find out that I travel much better with the majority of weigth in the front...

but I weigh 180, and my partner might have weighed 150 that one time we went out. I sat in the back and I had no problems. The battery and trolling motor was in the rear.

I would think that you might be best if you go to the middle bench and leave the battery in the rear with your son - but put the trolling motor on the front.

my battery is right in front of the middle seat, and weight distribution is ideal whether i'm alone or with family.(120 lb wife and 90 lb daughter). when i'm alone i usually sit in front, but move around alot and pretty stable. i can ALMOST get on plane with a 7.5 by myself, 15.2 mph GPS. so what i'm saying is weight works the best between the front and middle seat, for me anyway.

Latest posts