Almost ready for a run!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
I have had my 16' MirroCraft sitting in the driveway for a few years (before that it was sitting in my brother-in-law's backyard. Boat has not run since 1998 or 1999. It has a 25 hp Evinrude and console steering, lots of rod holder and 4 swivel seats - no deck (yet)

This year I decided that I would get it going and use it - it is a great back bay and river boat, nice wide beam at 61" and a modified V so it ride very nice.

Anyway, I went out this morning and shot a 50/50 oil gas mixture in each cylinder (pulled the plugs) - waited about and hour and cranked the motor (plugs still out) - cranked perfectly!

I am gonna start it Sunday.

A few more minor touch ups and I am ready to go

You had constantly posted pictures of it, but I hadn't ever heard of you actually using it. Gotta love those Evinrudes.... :wink:

Didn't you flip that one in the yard last year?

I did not flip it - Mother nature did!

I was gonna post something about how I wish I had a nice Mercury on it - just to bust BassBoy's chops a little (he is a secret Mercury fan, just hides it REALLY well :shock: )

BassBoy - did I do the right thing by squirting oil into each cylinder before i turned the engine?

My plan is to run it through a tank or two of gas a littel heavy on the oil - replacing a fouled plug is loads cheaper then re-ringing

Should I hit it with some Seafoam or similiar substance, I do not plan to unless it bogs or appears to have a carbon buildup. if I remember correctly this is a new power head and might not even be broken in - I think we ran it one time before the boat went into mothballs.

Thanks BassBoy :D

And, you are right about the Evinrudes - my Mercs suck compared to how well designed and simple those engines are

Captain Ahab said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Go with 1 gallon of fuel with 3/4 of a can of seafoam.

I though SeaFoam decarbs the motor? if my motor is new what purpose would that serve?
I thought the motor had sat since 98/99. It's what I do to any motor thats been sitting for a while.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Captain Ahab said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Go with 1 gallon of fuel with 3/4 of a can of seafoam.

I though SeaFoam decarbs the motor? if my motor is new what purpose would that serve?
I thought the motor had sat since 98/99. It's what I do to any motor thats been sitting for a while.
Ideally, Seafoam is for removing carbon buildup. While it will work for removing any gunk or such that would have built up in the carbs, I would much rather pull the carbs, disassemble them, and clean/rebuild them, as opposed to running some Seafoam through and calling it good.

Went out this afternoon and hooked up teh muffs, got some fresh oil and gas (after making sure the tank was clean) and some new fuel line. Turned cranked the motor and it fired right up!

Motor idles super smooth and revs up no problems. Goes in and out of gear firmly and smoothly.

YES!

Latest posts