Question about StrongTies

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeseball

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've noticed that alot of the projects done on this site use a combination of StrongTies and 2x2s. I went to my local Home Depot and could not find them. I'll check Lowes tomorrow. I went to the StrongTie website and see that they are made from zinc oxide treated steel. Now my question is, isn't using zinc oxide hardware on an aluminum application a no no, that invites corrosion?

Cheeseball said:
Now my question is, isn't using zinc oxide hardware on an aluminum application a no no, that invites corrosion?
You just need to insulate them from the aluminum. Direct contact isn't good. Mine were all used wood to wood except to the transom and I used nylon washers there.

Ouachita said:
Cheeseball said:
Now my question is, isn't using zinc oxide hardware on an aluminum application a no no, that invites corrosion?
You just need to insulate them from the aluminum. Direct contact isn't good. Mine were all used wood to wood except to the transom and I used nylon washers there.

Good idea!

I couldn't find them at HD. I had to get mine from Lowes and at that they were in the section with deck spindles and not the rest of the 2x hangers.

fishhead16 said:
I couldn't find them at HD. I had to get mine from Lowes and at that they were in the section with deck spindles and not the rest of the 2x hangers.

Yep... found mine at Lowes too.

Latest posts