Transome Strengthening

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runnin' Ruby

Reaction score
I need to strengthen the transome of my 14ft boat. I have a 25 hp long shaft motor I have used for the last two years. I noticed last year that the sides seemed to bend in a bit as I opened it up. I was thinking of strengthen the transome using some aluminum angle metal. I am taking the idea from an earlier idea to strenthen the walls of my boat with aluminum angle metal. Will try to add a picture with what I am working with when I get home from work. Thank you.

Here are the pictures that I was talking about. Looking for a way to stop the bending of the back end of my boat.

Attachments

• Transome.JPG
    Transome.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 596
  • Transome 1.JPG
    Transome 1.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 595
  • Transome 2.JPG
    Transome 2.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 597
I would remove all the bolts and metal strapping. then get a 1x6 or 1x8 oak board as long as the original transom. Now cut the oak board to match what you have now. When it is a good match strip the paint from the old transom then gorilla glue everything together and bolt it together with 1/4" stainless steel bolts.

The oak is on the inside of the boat. You well need lots clamps for the gluing and it can get messy. Can you stand the boat on the stern on some saw horses?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
The oak is on the inside of the boat. You well need lots clamps for the gluing and it can get messy. Can you stand the boat on the stern on some saw horses?

One thing to consider if your going to attach the oak riser to the inside of the boat is how far the bracket on your motor comes down on the outside of the transom. On mine, I considered attaching the riser to the inside of the boat but in order for the bracket to clear the top of the original transom I would have had to raise the motor about 6.5". Doing that would have raised the cavitation plate on the bottom of the motor above the bottom of the boat. [-X I only want to raise my motor 5" so I had to attach mine to the outside of the boat. I will reinforce with metal angles that will come off the shoulders of the riser and attach either to the gunnels or the back of the back seat.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I would remove all the bolts and metal strapping. then get a 1x6 or 1x8 oak board as long as the original transom. Now cut the oak board to match what you have now. When it is a good match strip the paint from the old transom then gorilla glue everything together and bolt it together with 1/4" stainless steel bolts.
I would also make it so the transom goes further down. Screwed and glued it will help with the flex.

Latest posts