Newb here ! Needs help !!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunker777

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I just discovered the site a few days ago.... well needless to say, this place is AWSOME ! I honestly have been dreaming about things I can do to my boat from all the ideas I get from here !
You guys know your stuff .
I recently purchased a 1465 springbok. I needs ALOT of work ! My grandfather and I are undertaking this project. Hes the knowledge and ability to do the mods, and Im the financial backer/ student in this project. haha
Im going to cut right to the chase.... I got a huge problem I believe.
The first rib in the boat at the stern is cracking on either side pretty bad. I didn't notice this till I got it home and looked. The previous owner has tried to mend it with steel strips... which has created another problem since they are rusting like CRAZY !!! One side of the rid is completely cracked all the way across... the other hasn't gone all the way across yet, by the looks of it.

Also, the transom support brace is cracking near the top. Its cracking at the spot where it bolts into the transom.

Here are some pictures

boatupdate1083.jpg

boatupdate1082.jpg

boatupdate1080.jpg

boatupdate1059.jpg

boatupdate1057.jpg

Sorry if the pics were blurry, It wasn't my camera and I couldn't get it dialed in right !

SOOOOOOO..... If ya can help me, PLEASE do ! haha what are my options with these problems?

You for sure need to drill out those rivets and get that steel off of your boat! I would recommend looking around for someone who can weld aluminum. The ribs need to have some reinforcement such as having aluminum L-channel welded onto it. Good luck with it! That is awesome that you get to share this project with your Grandpa. I would give anything for that.

The problem will drilling out the rivets holding the steel strips on...... On one side, there is only one strip of metal, and it goes through the rib only, not through the hull, that should be easy.... the other side however has 3 strips, 2 of which have about 6-7 rivets going through the rib and the hull... they are spaced very close #-o . So how do I drill them out without ruining the hull ? or what is the process for this problem ?

I already have a welder lined up for the job... so now its just getting those peices of steel off !

MAN O MAN !!!! :( is there any way this can be an easy fix ? haha [-o<

all you need to do is drill most of the head off the rivet so that shouldnt be any issue.

as already stated, drill out the rivets, get that stell out of there, clean up the area and snap some new pictures. Im sure rewelding that knee brace is a simple operation. and once you can get a better look at the cracking on the hull you will have a better Idea what you are up against.

if you do have trouble drilling out the rivets, another method is taking a cut off wheel and cut a X through the rivet head, just dont go deeper than the rivet. then you can take a chisel or screwdriver and pop the head right off. i use this a lot on large rivets that hold car window motors in.

Latest posts