3m 4200 question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow

Reaction score
I put this on the transom after having it built stronger,then read here that 5200 was for under the waterline,should i peel the 4200 off the bolts on the transom and replace with 5200? thanks

I've used 5200 for the last 15 years and have never had it fail. I've never used 4200. I would use 5200 if it's below the water line,.

If it has cured I doubt you can get it off.

Unless you are keeping your boat in the water it will be fine (and even if you are keeping your boat in the water). One question, are you just squirting the sealant on the outside of the bolts?

Captain Ahab said:
If it has cured I doubt you can get it off.

Unless you are keeping your boat in the water it will be fine (and even if you are keeping your boat in the water). One question, are you just squirting the sealant on the outside of the bolts?

I agree with Capin on this.

I was told 4200 is easier to get off - though I never tried. 5200 is my choice for all things that you believe do not need to be removed unless demolished (e.g. transom replaced). Plus, 5200 is going to be more protective against the elements.

The 4200 would be just fine. I actually have not found the 5200 to be quite as tough to remove as most have mentioned.

Latest posts