FLUSH MOUNT ICE CHEST?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrantny

Reaction score
any of you guys successfully installed an ice chest in a seat...and or just in your deck that is flush...i have a 15/48 jon and i am wanting to add a little more deck than orginal in front to accomodate an ice chest cooler and maybe some small cubby holes.... i've searched the forums but just wondering if one of you could point me in the correct direction.

thanks
ant

none of you have done this...i think i have an idea on how to do it...just looking for some ideas or pictures of what some of you may have done.....

i am starting my boat mod thread this evening...i will have pics of what i've done so far.

later
ant

I was going to do mine, but it's not deep enough to make it flush.. the top of the cooler would still be exposed.

In my new boat I'm going to have one made out of aluminum that will be flush with the rear bench.

You can take the top off your cooler and use 3/4 wood as long as you can get your deck high enough so that it is flush, but I think a 1548 will be flush depending on what size cooler you have.

I think there is a link in the "jon boat conversions" called 3 man boat or something - I know they have one in their boat, but I think they just built the deck over it

I dont know if it would be the same thing your thinking of, but I made a big Ice chest in a boat by lining a space with two inches of Insulfoam.

Air tight, no spaces between pieces of Insulfoam, and made a lid to fit, with the insulfoam in the lid that sat down into the Foam lining the inside of the box.

When filled with Chipped ice, it stayed frozen for almost a day. In fact we had to Dig with an Ice pick to get our bait and lunches out of the chipped ice.

thud...would you happen to have any pictures of this.....trying to do this in a deck with no lid sticking out..

Of course not. My Ex saw to the past just dissapearing while I was gone. :twisted:

But simply put, make a box in your boat somewhere up front.
Make sure the lid sets down inside the box and flush with the Deck. You need a pull rope for a handle or something you can grab.

If you hollow out a seat that has floatation, to use as an Ice chest, you may be asking for trouble later on.

I think what I'd do in your situation, not seeing a photo of your boat....I might make a pair of Hip seats in the stern on either side of the motor mounts.
Make those Hip seats a pair of Ice chests lined with the Two inches of insulfoam with a lid that fits down inside the upper rim. Make the Insulfoam meet foam to foam. That will be better than any commercial Ice chest you can buy! (its a short walk from the front deck back to those Ice chests in the rear)

If you had to move or even take out that rear seat, you may have replaced the Floatation of the original rear seat, with all the foam of the new Ice Chest seats! =D>

Latest posts