Evinrude 9.5 H.P on a 1648 Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think it will plane even with just you in the boat & no load. Add one person and it definately will not.
Your really need a 25 on that boat if you want it to plane.

This interests me because I only have a 1988 Yamaha 8 HP that will push my 1660 Monark. I know it won't be fast at all, but I run into the dilemma of getting a bigger motor and then not being able to use it on all the lakes and resovoirs around here. If I stay at 9.9 or lower, I can. If I get the 25, I will limit myself, but yet have that boat that moves. So for now - I walked into a great deal on that motor, looks almost brand new, one pull and start, etc - I will stick with this, until I get a real job and can buy a second 25HP+ and really move myself along. But need to be prudent at this point in time.

Don't expect to move that much, just enough to get you where you need to go.

Ober51 mentioned what I forgot too...
If you have HP restrictions on local lakes, you may have to stick with a 9.9 hp or below and live with moving at hull speed.

you could always get a bigger motor and put different stickers on it... I've seen it done plenty of times.. but it's more like putting 15-20HP stickers on a 25-30HP motor

russ010 said:
you could always get a bigger motor and put different stickers on it... I've seen it done plenty of times.. but it's more like putting 15-20HP stickers on a 25-30HP motor

LOL Yeah, I don't think 9.9 stickers on a 25 would go over very well...

You could find a 15HP and get a hood from a derated 9.9 motor just like it.That's a popular thing around here on restricted lakes.

ben2go said:
You could find a 15HP and get a hood from a derated 9.9 motor just like it.That's a popular thing around here on restricted lakes.

sshhhhhhhhhh :lol:

ben2go said:

This is likely what I will do in the future. I have been scouring CL for motors and have been able to find some (dunno if they are projects until I see them) so I may go ahead and purchase and sell this near mint 88 Yammy.

Ol' Grey Hairs here...
If you already have that 9.9, keep it and dont care how fast it makes the 16' Jon go!

My 9.9 on a 16' Star Craft Semi-V lake boat went 16 Mph (GPS).
That's a great motor. It'l last as long as the owner owns the boat.
It will also troll till you get tired of trolling! And without a hiccup.

Never mind the speed. As the old Bull said; "let's WALK down there and get em' all!" :wink:

Latest posts