measuring width

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txneal

Reaction score
In searching posts here, I've come across quite a few references to beam width and floor width and I'm still a little uncertain about where to measure, so maybe somebody could clear this up for me. I'm assuming that beam width refers to the overall width from side to side, but do I measure at the widest part of the boat or at the transom? It appears that my floor width is the same, 50 inches at the transom as well as at the widest part of the boat, but the width across the top is 55 inches at the transom and 60 inches at the widest point, so I'm wondering if I have a 55 or 60 beam width. Thanks!

Jons are measured at the floor.1436 is 14 foot long with a 36 inch floor.Beam is the widest point measured across the top of the gunnels.

Beam
Width, generally the widest point on the hull, but beam could be given at any point in the hull.

https://www.glen-l.com/resources/glossary.html Here is where I got my reference.I build boats but don't tell anyone,especially Bassboy1.He hates wood.

:oops: Brain fart here, lol. You're correct, the beam is the widest part, and not necessarily the bottom measurement. Sorry 'bout that, I reverted back to my ship days when the sides were vertical (at least on the five I served aboard). :)

Well, I will throw in my 2 cents!
Beam generally refers to the widest width at the top of the gunnels.
Transom width is width of between tops of the gunnels at the transom
Bottom width, mostly used for jons & mv-jons, is the widest width of the bottom.
Example:
My 1440 mv jon is 14' long, has a bottom wide of 40", a transom width of 59".
Width amidships is 57", most jons are widest at the stern.

The Lund 16 SSV, a semi V hull which I have been looking at, is 16'2" long, has a beam of 72" and a transom width of 64.5". They dont give a bottom width.

thanks for the quick input, guys. I just bought this boat about a month or so ago and still haven't had a chance to get it to the water. I'm waiting on paperwork to get everything titled and registered and this seems to take a while with Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. At this point, I'm still even trying to figure out exactly what model of boat I have. I know it is a 1972 Starcraft, aluminum semi-V, 14 feet long, but that's about all I know. I was hoping to find some info on the exact model, so I could see manufacturer's specifications, but I haven't figured it out yet. I've searched for pictures for weeks now and have seen some very similar boats, but nothing exactly like it. I'm getting ready to leave town for a few days and don't have any batteries for my camera, but I'll try to post some pics this week, so maybe someone can tell me what this is.

I think I got a pretty good deal on this boat. I paid $800. for the boat, trailer, and motor. It came with a brand new Hawkeye boat trailer (the guy gave me the receipt for the trailer and he paid almost $700. for it just recently) and a 25hp Evinrude. The guy told me that it had been in storage for a few years and he didn't know what sort of shape the motor was in, so that's why he was selling it cheap. It required just a minimum amount of carburetor attention and then it fired right up and seems to run great! I think the bench seats may be original from 1972 and perhaps they are teak? I removed them and gave them a good sanding and several applications of teak oil and they look pretty awesome now that they are back in the boat. The guy I got it from said his father bought it brand new in 1972 and only used it for yearly fishing trips to Mexico and kept it covered in a barn the rest of the time. Seems like it gonna be a pretty nice rig and I'm anxious to get it to the water. Will post some pics for you guys soon. Thanks again for your input.

Ok, I just got some batteries in my camera and am going to attempt to post a few pics like I promised. I just took these pics and the boat is under my carport, where the light isn't very good, and I can't get far enough back to get a good angle on the boat, so I'll try to get some better pics when I pull it out of the carport...maybe this weekend. As you can see in the photos, the boat appears to be mostly in stock condition, with the only modification being the swivel seats. There is only one mounted on the boat in the pic, but I have three of them for the boat.

I've been looking at all of the mods that you guys have done and haven't really decided what I'd like to eventually do to this boat, if anything. It will mainly be used in lakes, for bass and various other species. Also intend to use it for some catfishing and trotlining and it will probably see the Rio Grande River a few times as well. At the moment, I have no trolling motor, so I expect that will be the next purchase. Also am interested in a good fish finder. In addition, I think I'll be out in the dark from time to time, so I guess lights are in order as well.

I just called Texas Parks and Wildlife boat registration today and they said they processed my titles and registration yesterday, so that should be coming in the mail soon and then I'll be able to finally get this boat in the water and test her out. If you guys see anything that strikes you as a good idea for a mod in this boat, I'm eager for suggestions, so let me know what you think.

BTW: I think I finally figured out what model this boat is. I believe it is a 1972 Starcraft Seafarer. From photos I've found online, this seems to be what it is. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

Attachments

• boat 047.jpg
    boat 047.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 320
  • boat 050.jpg
    boat 050.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 320
  • boat 051.jpg
    boat 051.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 320
  • boat 053.jpg
    boat 053.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 320
  • boat 054.jpg
    boat 054.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 320
ben2go said:
https://www.glen-l.com/resources/glossary.html Here is where I got my reference.I build boats but don't tell anyone,especially Bassboy1.He hates wood.
What is so bad about that reference? They sell plans for aluminum hulls too. In fact, the plan for my 20 foot center console is one of theirs that I am in the process of butchering up a bit, to make better.

bassboy1 said:
ben2go said:
What is so bad about that reference? They sell plans for aluminum hulls too. In fact, the plan for my 20 foot center console is one of theirs that I am in the process of butchering up a bit, to make better.

Yea I was referring to the wooden boat plans.I know how much you enjoy wood working. :D

another request for assistance if anybody knows.....I'm almost certain that what i have is a 1972 Starcraft Seafarer. I've been searching for specs on this boat and haven't found as much I would like to. I went over to the iboats site and under Starcraft Seafarer, they only give length, weight, beam width, and hp rating. The HP rating is what has me most confused. They indicate that the max hp rating is 20 on the 1972, but then as I start looking at all the other subsequent years, the seafarer14 is rated at 30hp. I realize that there could have been a design change after 1972, but the weight, length and beam width remain unchanged, so I'm wondering if this might be a typo???

I did find a thread on their forums that was in reference to starcaft identification and a guy had posted a page from a 1971 Starcraft Seafarer brochure that listed all the specs for the boat. However, even after enlarging the picture, I could not quite make out the numbers as they were a little blurry. My computer at work won't allow me to access iboats forums, or else I might try to contact that guy and see if he could give me the info. That's probably what I'll do when I'm back to a computer that allows me to access that site. In the meantime, if anyone here knows how to find the specs for this boat, I'd be very interested in knowing what the hp rating is for my boat.

The boat came with a 25hp Evinrude and they guy told me that this is the only motor they ever used on it and that it is a great match, so I assume its ok to run a 25 even if the rating is for a max of 20? Better yet, I'm hoping I might find out that it is rated for 30 like all of the other 14 foot Seafarers seem to be. Thanks to anyone who might know how to help me out with this.

Latest posts