Marine plywood?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkbr

Reaction score
I know I've read posts on here about the correct (non-corrosive) treated plywood to use in an aluminum boat, but am having trouble finding any of the posts. Does anyone recall the proper wood to use???

Thanks

i've heard they make marine plywood but it is rather pricey and using it is not crucial. as for me, and most other posts i've seen, regular hardwood plywood and several coats of water sealer, especially on the ends. avoid what is called 'sheathing' as it is not designed for use as an outer layer, it's meant to have protection such as shingles or siding between it and the elements, and it usually has a rougher quality to it. my 2cents, birch hardwood plywood, 1/2 to 3/4" depending on the span between supports. i used 1/2 on mine as no span was more than 18-20".

what you are looking for is regular exterior grade plywood... when you go, just tell them that is what you want, and NOT pressure treated. They'll know what you are talking about

Latest posts