Need help with a design to make my transom TM and bow mount

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I'm going to mount a TM on my bow, and all I have are 2 transom mounts. I'm trying to figure out a study and appealing way to mount it, and I'm coming up blank, other than using 2x4's in an " I " shape.

Any suggestions?

If you plan on using the same setup on the boat you want when you get it I would seriously consider making or having one made out of aluminum a front deck mount setup that you can then transfer to the new boat.

Take pics and drawings with dimensions to figure out what will fit best and go talk to some fab shops. A couple phone calls and a hundred dollar bill and it may end up being just what you 'need' and look professional too. And these guys will know what will work (loading and structure wise). Plus take a bunch of scraps of aluminum and even cut the stuff up so it fits together nice and just have them weld it together for a cheaper project. Be enthusiastic about it, talk about fishing and having fun on the water, and they should end up being enthusiastic too. Makes life easier with a lower price and the stuff turns out better when someone 'wants' to do something instead of just doing a job for some poor smuck.

Jamie

Interesting idea... I might make some calls down the road. I really would like to give that a try, but I'm looking for the cheap alternative as of right now, as I'm already dropping 100's on the rest of the mods.

I'll definitely try that later on tho, cause I really want something stable and eye pleasing.

If you want a "cheap" alternative... try this.

Take you a piece of 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 aluminum angle. Cut it into 4 sections of 8" each. then get a piece of 2x6 wood. You might have to use 2 pieces on the bottom to build it up high enough to get up past the lip on the front of your bow, but I don't know what you have for a boat, so it's hard for me to say.

Screw the 2 - 8" peices of 2x6s on top of each other. Screw the aluminum to the bottom piece of wood so that it forms an L to the block of wood. The vertical part will screw to the wood, and the horizontal piece will screw to the boat for attachment (but don't do that yet).

Take another piece of 8" 2x6 to use for your riser which the motor will attach to. Leave enough aluminum hanging down to screw into the bottom blocks of wood, and that piece of aluminum should line up with one of the holes from the other piece of aluminum angle in the bottom piece so that they can be attached to each other. I would suggest using as large of a lag bolt as possible. I would also put some screws at an angle attaching the top to the bottom piece.

Then take molly bolts, or large self tapping screws to attach the bottom mount to your bow - and you should be all set.

Let me know if this doesn't make any sense... I'll try to draw something up

Attachments

• TM Bow Mount.JPG
    TM Bow Mount.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 469
Great design! That seems like a good way to do it. I'll have to take some measurements and figure out exactly what I'll need to do, but that seems perfect. Thanks!

I basically did what Russ said except I thru bolted mine to the front step and I beveled the 2x6s so they would sit flat against the bow. It is amazing the difference moving the troilling motor from the rear to the front, so much better. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• bowmount.jpg
    bowmount.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 466
Here's a pic of the last one I did, but it mounted horizontally.

102_0657.jpg

102_0656.jpg

102_0655.jpg

think about it like this when moving a trolling motor to the front

When you hook a chain to a tree - does it work better pushing or pulling the chain if you want it to move.... :mrgreen:

Something to think about, when you "pull" a chain, each link on that chain is actually pushing the one that is trailing it... LOL

Latest posts