Lurker from the NW sharing 12' aluminum dreams!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lebowski

Reaction score
I'll use this thread for the buildup and progress pictures. 1st time boat owner and couldn't be more excited. I came across a deal on an old Elgin 12' cartop shallow V with a couple running motors (gas & electric). To be honest, everything boating is still pretty fresh in my mind, i've been modifying and working with motorsports for a while now, so i figured i'd try my luck with water travel! Used to have a turbochared Acura that took up all my time and money, was a fun road racing car at the track but just outgrew it and the scene (have been on many many message boards for years). Hopefully this will kill 2 birds with 1 stone, being my love for fishing and still being mobile along with working on customizing/engines ect.

I really like the overall options with the jon boats and having more standing room with less option of tip and spill with multiple people aboard. After a week or 2 on here looking at all the projects and just itching to get my hands dirty and working again, i think i may have been bit by the jon boat bug. It'll still have to be 12', but plans are already on the mind. Realistically i'll be fishing bass and trout on a few different lakes around here, all of which are pretty mild tempered.

Here is the 12' jon boat that i'm going to look at tomorrow and possibly pickup. Plan is to spend a little more and get more with this, then right away sell the V and 4.5 Evinrude to make back some money. A few reasons and then comes the pictures:

1. Stability factor for what i'll be using it for
2. Has a trailer, mine currently does not and truck bed loading by myself is questionable
3. Bigger engine and other accessories included
4. Better starting platform for what i'd like to do and customize it to be
5. More realistic to make my money back, or profit from this deal as opposed to now

3ka3pa3o4ZZZZZZZZZ95aefc5f47f28921a.jpg

3m43p03laZZZZZZZZZ95a930f9ffa975a1f.jpg

3n63me3lfZZZZZZZZZ95a7768a5fd9d6e1e.jpg

3n63m13l9ZZZZZZZZZ95a6ae3ced76f771c.jpg

9.5 EVINRUDE, GALV EASY LOAD TRAILER, loading alignment roller's. Flat bottomed boat, be perfect for duck & goose hunting, or bass & Trout fishing. four seats, two with Styrofoam flottion underneath wooden floor so your feet don't get wet, three Berkeley pole holders, fire extinguisher, extra prop. BACK OF BOAT double plated, HEAVY REINFORSED FOR MOTOR!. This boat dont leek and the rivets are heavy duty, and tight, this boat has had very little use its a steal for the price. On Easter we put the motor in a barrel with water, and mixed some new gas, and started second pull. The motor runs great, idle down, and shifts smooth, has forward neutral and reverse. New Plugs. its a real clean looking motor when you pull off the lid. Some 09 tags, a few more required safety items, and your on the lake. I went out and measured it is it's 12 feet long, sides 17" Deep and 53" inches wide, and the plywood floorboards are removable for cleaning.

If i could get your opinions, thoughts, concerns, comments....i'd greatly appreciate the feedback. Sorry for being so ridiculously long, it's my first post, i had to get it all off my chest :D The knowledge and modifications that people have done on this site most definately helped with my decision and gathering my info, dialed website =D>[/b]

I'm pressed for time right now but I thought I'd weigh in - from what you describe, plus your enthusiasm, I'd go with the jon boat. It seems to suit your needs a bit better. But just be aware that it's not as good in any chop, even caused by wind/chop. So you don't have to be on Lake Superior to feel the effects of wind. Trailer always makes things easier - especially by yourself. And especially if you are going to mod it and add weight. Even with two guys, moving a modded boat can't be much fun. Read everything you can here, you'll learn A LOT. Good luck and keep the updates coming!

welcome

looks like we got the same old school trolling motor. my handle managed to rattle off mine and sink in the lake, and with a beer in one hand and a smallie on the end of a pole with the other hand, i was s.o.l

the jon would be more stable, but i have a vee almost identical to yours and after a trip or two out fully decked i was comfortable as can be even in the bow seat. that don't mean i won't be looking for a 16' in a couple years though, mainly for the extra room

if you're looking to deck it out... I would go for whichever boat has the widest floor - looks like it might be the flat jon. If the top is 53" wide, I'm assuming the floor is atleast 36" - or pretty close to it. I just sold my 1236, and if you want to see some modding possibilities to the max - check mine out here - https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4493.

ober51 said:
I'm pressed for time right now but I thought I'd weigh in - from what you describe, plus your enthusiasm, I'd go with the jon boat. It seems to suit your needs a bit better. But just be aware that it's not as good in any chop, even caused by wind/chop. So you don't have to be on Lake Superior to feel the effects of wind. Trailer always makes things easier - especially by yourself. And especially if you are going to mod it and add weight. Even with two guys, moving a modded boat can't be much fun. Read everything you can here, you'll learn A LOT. Good luck and keep the updates coming!

Thanks for the good words. The thought of moving the modified boat with a buddy and no trailer doesn't excite me, at all. So are you saying that the v hull would handle better in choppy water as opposed to the jon? Or they would both equally have issues on choppy water?
Loggerhead Mike said:
welcome

looks like we got the same old school trolling motor. my handle managed to rattle off mine and sink in the lake, and with a beer in one hand and a smallie on the end of a pole with the other hand, i was s.o.l

Last trip on the water, i pulled out a little hard and the handle on mine decided to start to slide off as well :shock: Luckily i didn't fall victim to the water taking possession :p

grizzly said:
the jon would be more stable, but i have a vee almost identical to yours and after a trip or two out fully decked i was comfortable as can be even in the bow seat. that don't mean i won't be looking for a 16' in a couple years though, mainly for the extra room

I'd like to think a lower deck on the V would have some stability, but even just standing up with 2 people in it now and attempting to move around made for quick body reactions lol. Not to say it wouldn't work, but for starting point purposes, maybe a different style would work better.

russ010 said:
if you're looking to deck it out... I would go for whichever boat has the widest floor - looks like it might be the flat jon. If the top is 53" wide, I'm assuming the floor is atleast 36" - or pretty close to it. I just sold my 1236, and if you want to see some modding possibilities to the max - check mine out here - https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4493.

Actually Russ your build was one of the first ones i spent an hour or so going through and learning as much as i could. I gotta say your fabrication and electrical skills are on point, i really liked the way it turned out. Are we thinking this jon boat is 1236 if the top is 53", that's pretty standard?

I actually went through every conversion here https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=21 and tried to absorb as much as i could. Make realistic goals alot clearer i can say that for sure!

Thanks again for the responses fellas, greatly appreciated. I know pictures and updates are far better than a bunch of writing and babble, so i'll try to keep it to a minimum :lol:

sounds like the jon would be better for your situation. whichever you decide don't forget the drink holders, hate for your white russian to spill.

Attachments

• big.jpg
    big.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,891
"Thanks for the good words. The thought of moving the modified boat with a buddy and no trailer doesn't excite me, at all. So are you saying that the v hull would handle better in choppy water as opposed to the jon? Or they would both equally have issues on choppy water?"

The jon is flat all the way up - making it more stable. However, if it is only a 36" floor, it won't be as stable as a 48" you know, even if it is flat. I have a semi-v 14' as well (check out the small cosmetic work I did) and it will cut through some chop, but not nearly as much as a deep v, which is what you want if you're going onto big waters. I wouldn't want you going out into the open bay, lol.

For what you described (flat waters, no real wind or chop) you want the flat bottom. To be honest, get the biggest/widest boat you can afford, it will still never be too much boat. I think if you want to build a deck, 14' is prob the minimum you'll be safe modding in such a fashion.

Even if the boat is light, getting it in and out of a truck bed gets old real quick. So definately get the trailer. Also, it looks as if the first motor does not have the throttle on the tiller. Reaching back to work the throttle while steering with the other hand is another aspect that will get tiresome. In short, go with the jon. But of course I'm partial to jons, chop or no chop.

grizzly said:
sounds like the jon would be better for your situation. whichever you decide don't forget the drink holders, hate for your white russian to spill.

The dude abides my friend, i'll have to bring a cooler along to hold all my ingredients 8)

ober51 said:
The jon is flat all the way up - making it more stable. However, if it is only a 36" floor, it won't be as stable as a 48" you know, even if it is flat. I have a semi-v 14' as well (check out the small cosmetic work I did) and it will cut through some chop, but not nearly as much as a deep v, which is what you want if you're going onto big waters. I wouldn't want you going out into the open bay, lol.

For what you described (flat waters, no real wind or chop) you want the flat bottom. To be honest, get the biggest/widest boat you can afford, it will still never be too much boat. I think if you want to build a deck, 14' is prob the minimum you'll be safe modding in such a fashion.

Thanks for the heads up...i pulled the trigger and went with the jon boat. Who knows, i may get crafty later on and try the open bay! lol

Cheeseball said:
Even if the boat is light, getting it in and out of a truck bed gets old real quick. So definately get the trailer. Also, it looks as if the first motor does not have the throttle on the tiller. Reaching back to work the throttle while steering with the other hand is another aspect that will get tiresome. In short, go with the jon. But of course I'm partial to jons, chop or no chop.

You ain't lyin. Last night i had to make room in the garage to fit a jeep and let me tell ya, putting the V on top of the jon boat by myself was no easy task, thank god for truck tail gates as a 2nd person!

Funny you mention the tiller and no throttle...thats one thing that i knew i wouldn't like, and sure enough i didn't. Luckily the new 9.5 Evinrude has the throttle on the tiller, so we're golden! Thanks for the words and advice.

Glad i went and picked up the jon/trailer/engine setup, to my surprise it's all registered, have the title, and even have all the old 1970 Evinrude boat log and owners manual. Thought that was pretty neat, the fact i know all the history and info on this one makes it that much better than the first V i bought.

Few pictures of the new setup next to the old and goodies i received from brown santa...

img0213.jpg

img0211d.jpg

img0216mjb.jpg

Jeff Lebowski said:
russ010 said:

Actually Russ your build was one of the first ones i spent an hour or so going through and learning as much as i could. I gotta say your fabrication and electrical skills are on point, i really liked the way it turned out. Are we thinking this jon boat is 1236 if the top is 53", that's pretty standard?

I'm just assuming that the floor is 36".. .I haven't seen a 36" floor with a beam less than 51"... and I haven't seen a 32" with a width more than 48". But then again - I'm sure it's been done and you may have found one of the boats that prove me wrong.

My wife and I stand in my boat while we're fishing - but I always made her sit down when I set the hook (I'm a "cross the eyes" hook setter). I did set the hook once with her standing and I didn't tell her I was going to - she didn't get unstable when I did it. But you do need to keep the decks no higher than the benches. I would really only recommend the front person be decked higer and the guy in the rear stand on a floor deck - it keeps the center of gravity on the boat equaled out... doesn't sound right, but that's what I learned in physics.

If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask questions... better to ask than to cost yourself some $$$

one more thing... be careful with those seat mounts. I would get some plumbers stringer tape and atleast fasten them to the benches... you'd be amazed what will happen when one of those comes off while you're sitting on it - just ask jyphotography... he and his son went overboard when his popped off a few weeks ago.

Strap your batteries down too...

It's been a little bit since i've posted or updated on the boat. Quite a bit has happened and made some good progress. Russ, you were right about the seat brackets, they did slip and **** near come off, good thing they won't be needed any further (wonder if cabellas will do returns still).

The old boat is sitting on the side of the house waiting to be sold with the old evinrude 4hp motor, hopefully someone comes and grabs it this weekend so i have some more funds. Not much else to say about it, was nice to use a couple times, but ive moved on.

The trailer that came with the jon was in pretty rough condition, from the rats nest wiring job and harness, to the loads of nasty paint buildup around joints and bolts... i had some work ahead of me. Not much for pictures as the process was quick and messy. It was bare aluminum when i started, and after self etching primer and a few coats, it came out a hell of alot better.

Here's some of the wiring harness and trailer outcome:

Sorry no before...this thing was rusted and nasty. Wire wheel and some undercoating paint, badda bing badda boom.
img0308v.jpg

My soldering station...
img0227i.jpg

More soldering
img0228.jpg

All done and wrapped up
img0230c.jpg

Ready for the rest of the loom
img0231x.jpg

Sideways lake shot
img0262i.jpg

Trailer after paint 1
img0268f.jpg

Trailer/polished wheel
img0300s.jpg

....continuing with more progress

Before shot, the state it started in...
img0270f.jpg

Before again (thats old plywood on the floor)
img0272l.jpg

Here's the drain plug...not sure how i feel about it, thoughts?
img0275g.jpg

My weapons of choice
img0276c.jpg

As you can see, the nut/bolt combo wasn't willing to break loose after many years of rust and corrosion.
img0281b.jpg

Busted out the reserve in hopes it would solve my problems, turns out it didn't
img0282k.jpg

Philips bit and pliers NOPE....Dremel/cutoff wheel NOPE....Drill the heads out with a bit, BINGO
img0288a.jpg

That was just for the rear and 1st bench...
img0283e.jpg

img0285l.jpg

Out comes the middle and last bench/flooring...
img0290a.jpg

The dead, rusty soldiers after a long battle. About 50 bolts with EVERY single one having the head drilled out....not fun.
img0289s.jpg

Put my buddy to work on the flooring using a drill and wire wheel, stripped all the old paint off.
img0293k.jpg

The result of a couple hours and paint debris coated lungs...
img0297m.jpg

Since i took the benches out, i need some bracing from side to side (aluminum tubing + self tapping screws)
img0299c.jpg

Better look (4 braces all together)
img0303f.jpg

Now that it was stripped on the floor and the bracing was done, time for wood ledgers
img0309m.jpg

All 2x2 wood will be hit with Thompsons before covering
img0311u.jpg

Jump right into the framing (used L brackets from HD and some nice screws) I didn't want to enclose the gas tank for venting reasons and being able to have it be easily removable if need be.
img0324.jpg

From the front back
img0325o.jpg

Last one for now
img0328j.jpg

There will be 2 compartments in the rear deck, side and side. On the front deck, when you first step on, there will be 2 long compartment doors there as well. And then finally up front, there is one basically hatch lid that opens up for more storage.

The middle floor will have 2x2s running across the ribs (front to back), 3/8 wood along the sides to cover the ribs/exposed metal, and then 3/8 carpeted plywood for the floor. Obviously everything else will get carpeted too.

It's been great to start something, have it be fun, and see it progress into a finished product down the line. Got my pops involved too and needless to say, he's also enjoying himself. I've noticed my time at the water fishing has dwindled, but that's only because i want to get this guy done and have it be just the way i want to be able to enjoy myself out on the water. Hope to have everything tied up by the end of next week, going to put the floor in now.

1 question before i head out...the outside of the boat isn't so hot, looks like it just needs a shine, buff, polish ect. What would you fellas recommend for giving the outside a nice finish? I was thinking compounds, steel wool, power buffer/polisher, and some mother aluminum finish?

img0273g.jpg

Man,your moving right along.Hopefully you will get it done so you can get back out on the water.
It looks great.
I've never cleaned an aluminum boat but I have heard this stuff "Aluma Brite"works well.
https://www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/4,6579.html
Corrisive stuff an acid so be careful with it,if you decide to go that route.
Theres probably other stuff thats just as good?
Heres a polish don't know if it's a cleaner(think it might be)
https://www.theintimidatorpropolish.com/about.html
if you seen the boat....wow

Latest posts