OH NOoooo... Not another Noob

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streaker

Reaction score
Another New guy here. I am in the process of purchasing a Lowe 1440. It has a modified V front and a livewell. I bought the Hydrilla Gorrilla book for some pointers. I will be extending the front seat 2 braces out for a bigger casting/seating area. I also am going to remove the center seat/livewell and make a doubler or patch over the hole in the floor and have it welded up. I also am going to remove the rear bench seat by drilling out the rivets and bucking new actual boat rivets in place. I plan on painting it and will be doing alot of research on what paint to use to get it right the first time. I was going to just get a 1436 but 15 yrs ago I had a 1432 jon with the flat front end and remember how the front used to do alot of slapping on the water where I fished. I sold that boat and now want something that I can have for a long time. I think that 1440 will fit the bill. Wish me luck and feel free to add any pointers as to what I should or shouldn"t do. I do know that alot of you will say NOT to remove the seats. After I remove them I am going to add inner siding to the boat so it will all be tied together. That should stiffen things back up. Well I am just excited to get started but my dealer said it will be a month or 2 before the 1440's come in. They are out at the moment and all they have is 1436's. I do want to say that this is a Grerat Sight. I love all the info here and will be back to ask a million more questions.

Wait a year and I will sell you mine!!!
I've owned a 1440mv since 1998, Its been a great hull for me. I use it for inshore fishing on Mobile Bay and duck hunting.
Pretty darn stable, able to handle a full load and it has handled rougher water than I ever expected (or wanted to be in!).
You wont be dissapointed in this boat.
My only complaint is that it does not have room to easily fish 3. I've got a family now, so next spring I will be getting a new boat and probably selling the 1440. I may keep it for just duck hunting sheltered water & put a scavenger mud motor on it.

One note of caution, you indicate that you are taking out the middle and rear bench seats. These seats hold 75% of the floatation foam and provide structural stability to the hull. You are going to need to replace a significant amount of foam as well as add some bulkheads or braces. I am not sure that side panels will give back the rigidity the hull needs. Be careful.
The Lowe dealer here has at least 2 1440mv's in stock.

Thanx CarlF
I will update my profile to eliminate confusion but Mobile although not as far for some would be a little far for me to drive for a boat unless the deal is exceptional.
I do plan on adding foam inbetween the braces before adding the side covers. I also haven't completely decided on removing the rear seat completely yet. I will see once I have the front built and the center seat removed. This will be set up for 3 people BUT my son is 20 now and is into doing his own things now and doesn't really go out with my wife and I so much anymore so it will pretty much just be the 2 of us now unless one of her friends wants to go with her. Other than that it will just be myself and one other buddy of mine at a time. Pretty much just for 2 but occasionally 3.

Latest posts