Newbie here. 14Foot Semi V, Manufacture Unknown

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trek Jeff

Reaction score
I have been lurking around the site looking at different mods and have decided to go to work on this 14footer. It has an old school Michigan Registration tag from 1968. Does anyone have any idea of the make/manufacturer?0521091637.jpg0521091637a.jpg
The Bow has an aluminum shelf0521091642.jpg
The transom got replaced tonight. The bumps you see in the picture are ant eggs0521091737.jpg
The bench seats will eventually be removed, but does anyone know why these are build like they are, it's seems a bit over done0521091640a.jpg

After looking through the threads on this website my game plan is to install a floor and eventually pedestal seats front and back with a live well/battery compartment in the center.

But for now the main project is just putting in the floor. Any words of wisdom are appreciated. On main question I have is as the keel narrows at the bow, how far down to you usually keep the floor? I was figuring to keep the same grade as the stern and just taper as needed. I also plan to put a storage cabinet on the already installed bow shelf. Thanks again and great site!

You have a lot of options with that boat. I would deck up to the top of the benches, or atleast high enough for storage where you can stand Plano boxes upright (so you can get more in one spot). I have no idea why they would put the benches in like that, but considering the time that this boat was manufactured there's no telling.

If you do take out your benches, I think it would be a good idea to run cross beams (aluminum angle iron) from one side to the other so that you keep the structural integrity of the boat when in the water.

Can't wait to see the progress of your build - and the more pictures the better! We love seeing them!

Cool looking hull, appears to be built like a tank. Keep us updated. on progress.

Any HIN numbers or plates on it?

Even so, I only reccomend taking out the middle bench & then adding some crossbacing in its place. The rear & front benches are not just seating but add significant rigidity & structural stability to the hull. Just a thought.

Looks like a Loanstar they usualy have a plate rivited on it some where that says "Loanstar" and the one My buddy used to have had the serial number stamped into the corner brace near the transom.

look at this one. I wish had pictyres of the one I helped my buddy mod it was camo and everything

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1182854126.html

If it is a Loanstar it is built like a tank.

That's for the replies! I actually found the same link showing me it is a lonestar. To cool. I'm starting to agree with leaving the rear and Front seats in and maybe just making a deck with both the middle and front. I saw another mod here last night which may just be what I'm looking for, the mod was on a 12footer, but clean, simple and would put me on the water sooner than my original ideas.. Thanks again!

Today I finished up the transom. Although I reversed the two layers of wood and ended up with alternating pieces, it came out very nice and the transom is rock solid. I still have to pick up some more SS fasteners for some finishing touches, all in all, I'm happy with it. There is no flex at all. Doing some reading I saw that these LoneStars were rated up to a 25hp engine...with out a footer on the transom. Seeing it rebuilt and as solid as it is, I can see why it's rated the way it is. The thickness of the aluminum has to be at least twice what my buddy's new 14 Smoker is. Anyway, here's today's work.0522091826.jpg

Man.......thats a stout lookin' boat. The transom looks great! Keep us posted........I'll be watching!!

OK, I have most of the frame work laid out using both 1x and 2x4's. The question I have is what is the best way to seal the wood?

ben2go said:
ober51 said:
ben2go said:
Thompsons water seal.
This is also what I used. Just coat the edges (after youve made all final cuts) and let it dry and youre good to go.

Yes. :oops: I forgot to mention this. :oops:

Ha, well you forgot one time out of 200, we forgive you :wink:

I only mention it because when I was redoing my transom I had to shave another 1'' off and right before I put it in I was like, "Water seal!"

Cool, thanks. That will be alot easier than what I thought I needed to do. A friend said to use exterior paint. The Thompsons makes better sense.

Latest posts