First Timer: 1975 Ward's Sea King

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilbasile

Reaction score
Great site you guys have here. I had been looking around for some inspiration and stumbled upon it. I figured I'd post my progress, and see if anyone had any input as to ideas, things to look out for, or any other concerns I should be aware of.

First things first, this is my first boat. I'm pretty handy and normally excel in just about anything I attempt to do (handywork and such). I also have a woodworking background (made kitchen cabinets from raw lumber). I'm pretty confident I can do a pretty nice job on her.

In any case, on to the pics.

She's a 12 footer if it isn't easily noticable.

I'm really hoping to fast track this. I've taken her out on the lake twice as is. I don't know if I can wait too, too long to get her back in :)

Wish me luck.

-m

Cool lookin' boat! I'll be watching your progress!!! Keep us posted with lots of pics :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just thought I'd toss up a more scenic 'before' pic ;)

Attachments

• 100_0730_small.jpg
    100_0730_small.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 868
First things first. I need a trailer. The guy basically had just thrown it in the back of a pickup (or so he said). All I can really do before obtaining a trailer is strip it down.

I found a guy selling one, which leads me to my first official questions here...

Does this look like a good deal for $150?
Its certainly made for a longer boat, but will it work with my 12 footer?

Comments? Concerns?

Attachments

• 100_0732.jpg
    100_0732.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 867
  • 100_0731.jpg
    100_0731.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 867
  • 100_0733.jpg
    100_0733.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 867
  • 100_0734.jpg
    100_0734.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 867
  • 100_0735.jpg
    100_0735.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 867
few more...

Attachments

• 100_0736.jpg
    100_0736.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 868
  • 100_0737.jpg
    100_0737.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 867
  • 100_0738.jpg
    100_0738.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 867
  • 100_0739.jpg
    100_0739.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 867
  • 100_0740.jpg
    100_0740.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 867
Honestly, around here I think I could get something better than that with less plant growth. But it depends on what your capabilities are, and what he will take. He says 150 but offer less.

u stole my boat! haha

i baught a trailer the other week in about the same condition. check the frame real good it looks like it's broke before. add up how much money your going to have in new tires bearings hardware ect ect. it may be cheaper to get one in better condition. if not, it looks like a fun project :mrgreen:

I agree.You could get better for the same money.That trailer needs light,wiring,paint,possibly bearings,tires,maybe wheels,maybe tongue and jack.

I think I would pass on that one. I hope you don't take poison oak..... That trailer would take ALOT of work just to get it road worthy, plus the work you would have to do to make it fit your boat.

Where are you located? I have one in about the same condition I have tried to give away. It doesn't have Virginia Creeper growing all over it either. Save your money for something better or cheaper. Lights will run you about $30. If you have a welder, you can fix up the rest for a few dollars. Then you have to adjust your rollers, bunks, and paint the whole thing, replace tires, etc. Wont cost a lot but, with the cost of the trailer and the repairs, it will be more than buying a cheap new one from harbor freight or something like that.

Just to add to my previous thought - it's tough to get a good used trailer on here. So when one became available last year for 225 I jumped on it. It still needed new bunks (cheap), and the wiring and lights to be replaced. I went out and bought a new winch, hardware, etc. Though I did get free tires from TSCompany because they sold me warped ones I couldnt get on....at first. I think in all I spent another 100 or so. I bet in all it was like 350 for a really solid trailer. Then I went and bought a bigger boat...new bunks are in order, lol.

Update to the trailer issue:

So the guy pulled it out of the bush and I had a look at it again. Really it's not in incredibly horrid shape. Also getting it for $100 instead of $150.

I decided to go ahead and do the deal... Honestly I can't really find any trailers out there that don't come with a boat attatched.

I took the rims off and I'm going to price out some tires. Perhaps order some online.

I fished a million hours in a Wards SeaKing. And those old trailers are mostly usable.
You need to know about the Wheel bearings, and those rusted corners before you make a deal.
If he's got paper work you could grab it because you might find a deal on a good trailer with no paper work. Down here those little trailers are not licensed. In lot of states that's the case.

PS: I used to put my SeaKing in the back of my pickup!

Latest posts