Trailer wheel bearing Grease

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bearing buddies, and use whatever grease is available. I grease them before each trip, so the grease breaking down isn't a worry, nor is it washing out, not for the little amount of time it's in the water.

They key is to use the same grease every time. We use cheapo stuff from Advance. Bearing buddies are the best thing you can do with your bearings. Conventional bearings have grease on the rollers and all, but have air spots all throughout the hub. Since no hub is going to seal correctly, these fill with water, which dilutes with the grease, and pits the bearing, destroying the race and the spindle.

With bearing buddies, the hub is full of grease, so thee is no place for the water to go. We have picked up some really abused trailers with good bearings, cause they had buddies, and some well cared for trailers, with rather new bearings, that had died in a couple of months, due to lack of BBs. I will never own a boat trailer, that I plan on keeping, that doesn't have them. Way to important.

But, you still need to clean them every couple of years. This means pulling the hub, and replacing all the grease (gets dirty after a while), and inspecting all the parts.

dampeoples said:
I have bearing buddies, and use whatever grease is available. I grease them before each trip, so the grease breaking down isn't a worry, nor is it washing out, not for the little amount of time it's in the water.

Same here. Check 'em/grease 'em before each trip to the water. Better safe than sorry. I use the lithium-based grease from either WalMart or Advanced Auto parts store.

I use Lucas Red-N-Tacky #2. Messy stuff, but it's a great grease for wheel bearings. It's got corrosion inhibitors and is water resistant.

I've got bearing buddies, too, and I reapply new grease each time I get home.

I also use the bearing buddies, but I repack beginning of the season, dont really have to but I feel safer that way, just one of my little quirks :wink: