From the new guy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPSGUY

Reaction score
I just bought a 1977 16 Monark with 1977 25 hp johnson 1977 tralor single owner motor runs good and jsut needs a little clean up and alot of mod. i joined so i could get ideas of how best to fix it up. i want to deck it up nice for bass and walleye fishing. i just move to mo.from wy. and started trout fishing 3 years ago. I am now learning all i can about bass fishing hence the boat. i have seen a video of some of the boat mods on youtube and hope there is more. My name is Dean and i work at bass pro. the boat has a live well i want to keep but i need a plan of what to do. any ideas would be helpful form how to run elect. to what kind of wood to use. i have about 500.00 to spend also want to paint it spray paint it Thanks Dean

BPSGUY said:
I just bought a 1977 16 Monark with 1977 25 hp johnson 1977 tralor single owner motor runs good and jsut needs a little clean up and alot of mod. i joined so i could get ideas of how best to fix it up. i want to deck it up nice for bass and walleye fishing. i just move to mo.from wy. and started trout fishing 3 years ago. I am now learning all i can about bass fishing hence the boat. i have seen a video of some of the boat mods on youtube and hope there is more. My name is Dean and i work at bass pro. the boat has a live well i want to keep but i need a plan of what to do. any ideas would be helpful form how to run elect. to what kind of wood to use. i have about 500.00 to spend also want to paint it spray paint it Thanks Dean

Another Mon Ark?! Awesome. There are some great mods here, even fellow Mon Ark'rs. I myself have one, check out my 16' mod, just starting though. Aluminum is lightest to work with, but more more expensive - so plywood would be best cost wise. I think marine plywood is expensive, and not needed if you just water seal regular plywood. Never use pressure treated wood, as there is copper in the wood that will react with the aluminum and cause corrosion. How wide is the boat? I am looking to get a 25 HP as we speak - about $400 around here (1970s, too). But I am ideally looking for a 15HP to put 9.9 stickers on it to abide by the state laws with regards to the reservoir regulations.

Hello welcome, can you post some pictures of your motor and the set up? I just bought a 1977 Johnson sea horse 25hp that is set up for remote control. I do not have any controls yet but I have been checking around at all of the older marinas here in the area. Some of the marinas have them just lying around the shop, and some of the other marinas say that they throw all of the older stuff in the trash.
I am curious to see in your pictures if you have a steering tube that is attached to the motor itself or if it is after market one that is mounted to the transom. The steering tube will be 12” long and ½ circle that is attached to the motor in between the 2 c clamps that attach to the transom, it will have 2 nuts on either end and the steering rod goes through the tube.
See my motor does not have that tube but it looks like there is a hole for one, I would have to buy an after market one. Plus I would like to use a stick steer up front. Thanks

BPSGUY said:

Go to this page.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

Read through every build. When you find an idea you like then go stare at your boat for an hour. Back to the build. Read, go stare, read go stare, read, kiss wife, go stare, read, go stare, kiss wife, repeat for a month and throw in some time on the water debating the ideas you want to implement. You will toss out a few ideas, add a few new, etc.

The best thing you could do is spend some time fishing in your boat learning what you hate about it.

Latest posts