Need some help with a 12ft V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livnitup

Reaction score
I just spent a few hours checking out a ton of posts on here. You guys have done some awesome stuff with your boats! Im new to boat mods but been fishing since i could walk. I have this old row boat that I need some help with if you could. I know this pic isnt the best but will be sure to post another if need be. My biggest question is do the benches (3) help keep the boat stable? If I were to remove one, two or all of them would that compromise the boat? I would like to do a deck of some sort but not sure where to start. Any and all advice is well received! Thanks

Eric

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 437
I've read many posts also, and it is wise to reinforce the sides and don't forget to replace the flotation from inside the seats. Aluminum maybe light. But it will sink. Welcome

Welcome to the site, both of you.

Yes, generally teh bench seats provide structural support.
Yes, you can remove them, provided you make other accomidations to provide taht strength another way.
Decking the boat is a great way to support teh gunalls.

for some ideas you can look at my build. Link in my signature.
I removed the bench seats and made other accomidations for gunall strength and floatation.
I used the floatation from the front becnh in the bow, and the floatation from teh back two benches in one box. More specific details in the link. I also reinforced teh starboard side gunall with a rod/paddle/all around light rack system.

I also put a floor in teh boat with 3 2x4 that run bow to stern. Plus the floor is anchored in teh boaw and stern, it will never buckle. And one more piece of strength is the bow storage/floatation compartment, and the stern floatation box.

Latest posts