bass seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Bassin

Reaction score
How many of you fish with the lil butt seat for bass fishin?? i was thinking about getting one so i dont have to fish out of bulky seat all the time and have something to lean against just curious on how others like it and are they worth it?

I tried it on a friends bass boat but I guess I'm just to use to a full seat.I don't really like them,but everyone is different.I like being low in a jon boat rather than high on the front of a bass boat.

I found they are a must if you stand up and use a foot controlled trolling motor that doesn't have a pedal well. Trying to maintain balance in rough water, while casting, while operating the trolling motor, all on one foot isn't easy, and the seat keeps you from falling over. However, if you sink your pedal in so it is deck height, you can balance with both legs, yet still steer just fine. In that case, I found the pedestal to be getting in my way, seeing as I wasn't leaning on it at all. I would just turn around to get to a hatch and run into it. I sold my butt seat and post, which I bought brand new for the Yazoo, and used maybe 4 trips, last Sunday.

I think it helps with balance, and not much else. Didn't do much for taking a load off your legs. I fish standing up until either my left leg/ankle starts to give out, or my back starts to hurt, then it is up to the regular seat on a short pole.

I have thought hard about getting one since i never sit while i fish, but i need a seat up front for moving down the lake with the outboard (if im not the only one in the boat) I have thought about getting rid of it all together.

Off topic but: Bassboy, where did you get the foot pedal tray? I found the cheapest one was 80 bucks. Find anything better, or can i make one?

I use one in the front of my boat. It does help with balance and I am tall enough that I can actually sit on it to take much of the weight off of my legs. I can fish a whole lot longer with it than I can without it before my back starts hurting.

I wouldn't put one in a small boat. They are quite tall and the center of gravity is about the same as if you are just standing on the deck.

Ilinimud, I made mine. Little bit of aluminum sheet, a bit of aluminum angle, and a few rivets, and walla!

ilinimud said:
Off topic but: Bassboy, where did you get the foot pedal tray? I found the cheapest one was 80 bucks. Find anything better, or can i make one?

I remember seeing them on Walmart.com but don't remember the price. I think I'm going to add one to my boat if the framing I so painstakingly planned out isn't in the way... and I'm betting it is.

poolie said:
ilinimud said:

I remember seeing them on Walmart.com but don't remember the price. I think I'm going to add one to my boat if the framing I so painstakingly planned out isn't in the way... and I'm betting it is.

I think they are still about $130 on walmart.com

You could build the pedal tray out of 1"x"1x 1/8" aluminum angle and then fill in the bottom and sides with aluminum sheet,plastic glass,or plywood.Just don't forget to install a drain for water.

I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to fab one - even out of wood, no? I mean I'm sure that aluminum and the ones they make are much better, but it's def doable.

you can make it out of wood.... just be sure to put drain holes incase you're out fishing in the rain