sealing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPSGUY

Reaction score
Friends at work said i should figure out a way to seal the hull of this old jon because it is sure to be leaky do to lose rivets over time What should i use to seal the hull and should i seal it on both sides Thanks Dean

Never have sealed a boat just because of leaky rivets, so far I guess I have been lucky I have just tightened the leaking rivets up with a Hammer on one side and a dolly on the other side. If you can not get to both sides not sure what to do. If you have any leaks I would just try the hammer and dolly hopefully it will work. I got rid of a 1964 14' semi v alumacraft last year that did not have a rivet leak on it. Good Luck. Hopefully someone else will come along shortly that knows about sealing...I will follow the post to learn something:)

Steel flex is made for sealing aluminum boats.I would tighten the rivets before coating the hull.Do a search here will turn up a lot of threads on steel flex.

He is speaking of a body doll used in auto body work.Mine is half moon shaped and fits in the palm to use like an anvil on the back of sheet metal.

fill it up or put it in the water to mark the leaks. you can tighten the rivits like said before, but i personally just drill them out and replace them. i just replaced around 7 leaky rivits in my boat. took less than 5 minutes and a box of rivits and tube of sealer is under 10 bucks

sounds like you don't know if it actually leaks yet, that would be my first step. my boat is a 69, a little beat up and sat in a field for atleast a decade, has a riveted hull, and not so much as a seep from anywhere. you may get lucky too!