What size deck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatBasser

Reaction score
I recently obtained a 1636 Rhyan Craft flatbottom Jon boat from my pop. I got a great deal, two fish findrs, '68 20hp Johnson, 17lb thrust Minn Kota 35w, trailer, seats and other junk cost me about $0.00. I'm redoig the floor and rebuilding the deck but I can't decide if I want a partial deck or full deck between the bow and middle bench. I've been looking all over and have found plenty of 1436 mods but can only really find 1648 or larger. I wil be using it for bass and cats and I'm not completely sure how much I will fish with another person but I do have a 2 year old son who I will be teaching to fish next year and a 1 month old who will learn in a couple years. So, I was wondering what yall would do with this size and situation. Thanks ahead of time for advice.

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining!

A 1636 is too thin for a full blown deck in my opinion. I would just floor it and pedestal seat the benches (nothing tall) just to be able to sit comfortably all day. Post a picture if you possibly can so we can visualize it.

Jim

I would keep the decks level with the tops of the middle benches... you'll have more stability that way because I'm guess your gunwhales are only about 50-54" wide with a 36" floor.

As far as the area between the middle and rear bench, I personally would leave it open, and only deck the floor. Sometime's it's good to get down to a lower level to land a big bass or cat - it gives you more stability in the boat to get big fish in the boat.

If you can, post pics of your boat and we can give you a better idea.

I'll post some pics once it stops raining, been raining for a week straight now, and I can get out to take a few. I agree with keeping the middle open for a lower level and plan on putting a floor only there. I was planning on keeping the deck at the top of the bench since I can't really go over it since there is livewell in the middle bench. But I will get some pics ASAP. By the way the beam is 55" at the widest.

You're on the right path then as far as height... all you need now is the rain to stop so you can start building

Yeah, I think it's supposed to stop this weekend but I've heard that before. It was real nice and pretty last week when I stripped it out and pressure washed it inside and out, but when I need nice weather I can't even buy it.

Finally got a break in the rain and got out to get a pic of the boat so yall can give me advice on what to do with it. I got the boat off the saw horses, flipped it over, got a pic made, and it started to rain again. So I still don't get to paint it, sucks because now all I can do is sit around day dreaming about what I want to do with this project. But here's a link to an album I started to track my progress, I forgot to take pics of the seats when I recovered and painted them and liitle things like that, but anyways here it is: https://photobucket.com/GTC1636JonBoatMod

Nice job on the clean up so far! I have to agree with the majority here. I would deck half and leave half low. As russ mentioned it will help you land the bigger fish and you can confine your little ones to the low deck to keep them safe.

I know most people including myself have a full deck but if i had it to do over again i wouldn't do it. 36in is just to narrow to be sitting up that high. you also will not be able to tell until you get it in the water either. Of course, I love my boat but i do more trot lining and crappie fishing than i do bass. So when two people are leaning over the side of the boat you feel like you are going to fall out. It is your boat so do as you wish but if i had it to do over i would have atleast inset it.

Attachments

• boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 886
I appreciate all the advice so far but I also can't decide on the size of my front deck. I'm not sure if I want to go from the little factory deck to the end of the bench or stop short of the bench to leave leg room like this:

Attachments

• fd.jpg
    fd.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 886
CatBasser said:
I appreciate all the advice so far but I also can't decide on the size of my front deck. I'm not sure if I want to go from the little factory deck to the end of the bench or stop short of the bench to leave leg room like this:

There are definite advantages to that especially for your passenger. They won't have to ride backwards all the time.

I was thinking the same thing about the passenger Cheeseball. I was also thinking that I could put my tackle box in the hole and won't have to worry about opening a hatch when I need something or looking for it, just lean over and pick up the whole box. Thanks for the compliment on my Jeep Andy. It's something that I've been working on for the past couple of years, just cost too much to do everything that I want to.

Latest posts