Foam underseats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD746

Reaction score
I was looking at cutting the middile bench to hide my two batterys but it has foam inside, the boat has three benchs only the middle has foam so, my question is if I remove the foam from the middle should I add foam to the front and rear bench?

I took the foam out of my middle bench and didn't add foam anywhere else... didn't cause me any problems

I took the foam out of my middle bench and didn't add foam anywhere else... didn't cause me any problems

But have you swamped your boat yet? That is when you will find out if you have a problem!

MD746: If the other two seats dont have foam, it definately wont hurt to add it. Can only help if you get swamped. You may be able to turn the hull over & pour in two-part foam as opposed to trying to figure out how to get blocks in.

CarlF said:

But have you swamped your boat yet? That is when you will find out if you have a problem!

Apparently, I'm not worried about that...

russ010 said:
CarlF said:

Apparently, I'm not worried about that...

Oh course not - you have a great record of deep water recovery

Just make sure you have a big enough treble hook to snag and lift the sunken tin boat :mrgreen: :oops:

what I really need foam on is my rods/reels... they were worth more than the boat was!

by the way Carl, I just reread what I wrote and it sounded negative or smart a$$ed... i really wasn't meaning for it to come out like that.

Now if I was fishing off the coast, or in really big lakes, the foam issue might be of more concern to me, but I don't - I fish electric only waters (except for 2) and I never had any problems with the boat taking on water. The only time it took on water was when it rained and it took on a lot and I had no problems.

Oh, I'm pretty thick-skinned, no problem! If we cant give each other a little carp every now & then, it aint no fun!

I've never tested my floatation either. But I was on the water one opening day of duck season when other did.
We had a squall line come through about 5:30, went from flat calm to 25-40 mph winds, 3' waves, heavy rain, lightning in just minutes.
In a sheltered bay about 4 miles away, there was a 1448 boat with 3 guys, a dog, guns, gear & a godevil motor (read: very overloaded) who took a few waves over the bow & the boat settled right to the bottom in 3' of water. Even with all the factory foam, a boat that overloaded is going down. Now, 3' of water is normally not a problem in summer but on Decemeber 1, it was. Luckily one of them grabbed their safety kit & a light. The owner actually had flares, fired on off & tHey had help on seen in minutes. Out of the water before hypothermia set in.
Now I bet these guys never thought they would see seas that rough in a sheltered bay in 3' of water.