Noob help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.gonzo

Reaction score
I have been looking around online for a cheap boat. I ran across this web site on someones youtube video, and been reading the forms for a few weeks. I live in Killeen, Tx, I am station at Ft. Hood. I am active army. My friend and I go fishing a lot "every weekend" at lake Belton, and the other little lake. I'm lost at looking for a boat. There is flat bottoms and then v-hall whats the diff?" i know one has a v front but what the other diffs in them? I need something to carry 2 ppl most of the time maybe 3. And something to just cruse the lake for my wife's enjoyment. I see a lot of ppl start with a 14'. so ill start with one and is 1000. good for one with boat? and do i make sure they have a tittle too right? Im sorry if my questions sound dumb.

Would this be a good start he will give it at 550?
https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1188057497.html

Welcome aboard!
Whats your MOS? I was an 11B in the ALNG for 6 years, mech.

Difference between jon boat and mod-v jon boat is that the mod-v has a v-bow but still quickly tapers to a flat bottom. The one in your pick is a regular jon. Mod-v's handle chop better and generally have a smoother ride. Given hulls of the same length & width, they are both pretty stable boats.
What size? As big as you can afford. If you are going to have two adults, possibly three, I would go with a 1448 mod-v at a minimum. Get a 16 with a 25 hp if you can find one you can afford. Very few times will you be on the water and wish for a smaller boat or less HP. But there are lots of times when the weatherr turns nasty that you will wish for a bigger boat & more HP.

thanks so much my mos is 74d which is NBC. so is this a good boat to start with https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1188057497.html

michael.gonzo said:
thanks so much my mos is 74d which is NBC. so is this a good boat to start with https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1188057497.html

Without measuring the floor I can't be certain, but that hull looks a little narrow for decks.It could just be the picture.If you are considering decks a 42 inch, or wider, floor is best.I would consider 1448 as the smallest boat for 3.A mod V is the best compromise between a full flat bottom jon and a V hull.If you only fish calm water then a flattie or mod V will be fine.A standard V bow will be more tippy,especially with decks.What ever hull you decide on, keep the weight low and balanced.Titles can be tricky.Since you are stationed in TX and possibly plan to sell when you change locations,only worry with TX laws.I'm not sure what they are,but someone from TX should be able to help with that.If you plan to keep the boat and register it in another state,you will need a title.All states are different when it comes to water craft titles and registration.You may also need a title for the motor.Trailers are the same,varies from state to state.If you fish out of state, you may be required to have a title for the boat and trailer.Possibly the motor also.This stuff is not as bad as it sounds.Getting in contact with your titling agency will make it simple.It could be DMV or DNR.

GAS, GAS, GAS !!!!!

Sorry, couldnt help myself. All clear.

Looks OK, check the bottom width. If it is a 1636 (or narrower) would hold out for at least 1448 or 1642, a 1648 woudl be even better. Long narrow jon boat dont tend to be very stable.
I have a 1440 and have wished since I bought that I got a 1448. I like the boat, have had it for 10 years, but wider would have been better.

Boat looks clean and solid, but a bit narrow from the pictures. I'd go with at least 48" but sometimes it's hard to find a deal on one.

Latest posts