Lower Unit Oil - What Brand and Where to Buy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Post title basically covers it - I want to order some lower unit lube to replace the existing, where do you get it? I would like to get one of those pumps with a gallon or something. I am trying to find it on boats.net to order with some seals, but cant seem to locate?

When I had a boat with a main motor I bought my lower unit lube at Walmart in the automotive dept., and I always used Mercury brand, and if they didn't have it on hand I used the Pennzoil brand. They usually have the hand pump that screws onto the bottle in that section also.

Waterwings said:
When I had a boat with a main motor I bought my lower unit lube at Walmart in the automotive dept., and I always used Mercury brand, and if they didn't have it on hand I used the Pennzoil brand. They usually have the hand pump that screws onto the bottle in that section also.

Thanks, WW. We don't have any of those Wally Walmarts around here - was it by any chance at a regular old Walmart?

ober51 said:
Waterwings said:

Thanks, WW. We don't have any of those Wally Walmarts around here - was it by any chance at a regular old Walmart?

Ours isn't one of those super walmarts, so I'm guessing most should carry it. I've also seen some limited outboard stuff (oil, etc) at our local Kmart. Are you close to a Bass Pro Shop, Cabela's, or maybe a marina/boat repair shop?

Walmart, Kmart, any boat store (west marine, boaters world etc), will have those. The first time you fill it, buy the Pennzoil with the pump, solely so you get the pump. The rest of the time, just go with whatever is cheapest, provided it meets the requirements of API GL-5.

People will always say the same thing that is said about 2 stroke oils - must use manufactures brand. However, that is not needed. On 2 stroke oil, the lubrication is EXACTLY the same between say Pennzoil, Supertech and Yamalube. So, lubrication wise, you would be fine running Supertech in a Yamaha or a new Merc. However, Yamalube, and Evinrude oil and such have their own additives, and many are synthetic. So, while they lubricate better, the difference is in how they burn. But, for gear lube, you aren't burning it, so any brand will work, as the lubrication aspects are identical across the board.

bassboy1 said:
Walmart, Kmart, any boat store (west marine, boaters world etc), will have those. The first time you fill it, buy the Pennzoil with the pump, solely so you get the pump. The rest of the time, just go with whatever is cheapest, provided it meets the requirements of API GL-5.

People will always say the same thing that is said about 2 stroke oils - must use manufactures brand. However, that is not needed. On 2 stroke oil, the lubrication is EXACTLY the same between say Pennzoil, Supertech and Yamalube. So, lubrication wise, you would be fine running Supertech in a Yamaha or a new Merc. However, Yamalube, and Evinrude oil and such have their own additives, and many are synthetic. So, while they lubricate better, the difference is in how they burn. But, for gear lube, you aren't burning it, so any brand will work, as the lubrication aspects are identical across the board.

Yeah, I bought Pennzoil for my regular oil, I'd like to keep it the same for the lower unit. Does it matter since it's a four stroke? I have the specifications, its hypoid gear oil, SAE 90. I am hoping that the Walmart has it, but I have a feeling the one by me is going to let me down. West Marine should have it, but their website didn't have the Yamaha pump attachment, which I've read makes a difference in filling.

use royal purple synthetic oil makes a huge difference adds to your rpm and reduces wear on your motor..
I also use it in my truck and it adds 2mpg ..
great stuff

redbug said:
use royal purple synthetic oil makes a huge difference adds to your rpm and reduces wear on your motor..
I also use it in my truck and it adds 2mpg ..
great stuff

You have a link? SOunds like I would be interested.

I bought the purple Hypoid SAE90 oil from West Marine, wasn't that hard to drain and fill, though the screws were a bit annoying.

Latest posts