1636 '87 Rhyan Craft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatBasser

Reaction score
I decided to start this to show my progress, get advice, and bounce ideas off yall. Here is a link to an album of my progress https://photobucket.com/GTC1636JonBoatMod. I will post when I add new pics to it and let yall know what I've done.

But as for now I have a question for yall. I'm trying to decide what to do with my second seat. I see all these mods where guys put them on the rear deck but I don't have removeable pedestals. I have regular pedestals that mount to the floor with 4 bolts and have a swivel mounted on the top. So I'm wondering if I should try and put it on the rear deck or in the floor between the middle and rear bench, the way it originally was. I don't want it to be in the way and the only idea that I can think of ,to put it on the rear deck and make it removeable, is to push carriage bolts up through the deck, threads pointing up, and attach the pedestal base with wing nuts. Then I can take it off when making long runs and put it back on for fishing. What do yall think?

I believe you would be happier saving up and buying a couple of the pedastal bases and a removable pole so you can move the seat around. You will get tired of using the wing bolts to move the pedastal around. If you just want to save the money, then I would use the wing bolts and see how I like it. You can always buy the other later and redo. That is the beauty of these jon boats we can fish out of them and fix them up when we have time. Tight Lines......

Hey catbasser... I'm kinda faced with the same dilemma. I have a pedestal with a swivel mount. I'm thinking of mounting mine in the back as the permanent helmsman's seat. But I still have not decided if that will be too tippy, sitting up so high. I may just mount the seat and forgo the pedestal and sell it. But then again I haven't ruled out a removable pedestal either. A removable pedestal would be nice but would add another expense. A nice thing about a pedestal seat in the back, is that you can remove the pole and sit low while you drive the boat, then put it back to sit high and fish.

Sorry that's not much help in helping you make a decision. But then again, that's why we mod our boats, to make them the way we want them.

Alright, I haven't done much of anything so far. Weather won't permit and neither will the budget right now. I have been making my plans and coming up with ideas. But I would like to get some advice on where to put my battery and fuel tank. When my Pop had the boat he would put the battery in front of the middle bench and the fuel tank in front of the back bench, but I would like to free up the floor. I'm going to put a low deck in front so I don't think I will have room to put the battery under the deck but don't know where to put it. I thought about putting them in the back behind the bench but I'm worried about weighing the back down too much with the battery, 6 gallon tank, and 20 Hp Johnson. What have or what would yall do?

Appreciate the advic ahead of time.

Latest posts