wiring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPSGUY

Reaction score
What is the best gauge wire to use for 12 volt. my 12 volt bible is not here yet thanks for your help Dean

I only plan on running lights,trolling motor,fish finder and two 12 volt out lets(cig.lighter type) need diagram and ideas thanks Dean

Hi BPSguy,

I'm rewiring my 14 footer and I'm going with 12ga from my battery to my switch panel and 14ga. from the switch panel to all devices. My layout has changed somewhat, but this kinda shows how I will lay it out. The biggest change I've made is that I will wire the switch panel to the cold crank battery instead of the deep cycle.

JonBoatLayoutcopy.gif

Nice clean diagram.
Do you use a trolling motor?
Is 12 gauge heavy enough?
and is that 20 or 2 amp fuses...or is that just there to say that your going to put fuses in that spot?

Zum said:
Nice clean diagram.
Do you use a trolling motor?
Is 12 gauge heavy enough?
and is that 20 or 2 amp fuses...or is that just there to say that your going to put fuses in that spot?

Yes I will have a trolling motor, but that will have it's own battery (deep cycle) and it's own dedicated circuit. Probably use something like a 4ga or 6 ga there.

Oppss... sorry I'm actually going to run 10ga. to the switch panel. I figure the 10ga. feed and the 14ga. distribution wires will actually be somewhat overkill. But I figure it's better to go overboard than to have a wire too small to carry the load or go the distance. Everything that get's wired to the switch panel is fairly low amp draw. Plus wiring made specially for boats is a little thicker than the normal stuff, so I figure I'll be ok.

They are 20 amp fuses per two switches. But they can be swapped out for whatever amperage I deem necessary.

Cheeseball said:
Hi BPSguy,

I'm rewiring my 14 footer and I'm going with 12ga from my battery to my switch panel and 14ga. from the switch panel to all devices. My layout has changed somewhat, but this kinda shows how I will lay it out. The biggest change I've made is that I will wire the switch panel to the cold crank battery instead of the deep cycle.

JonBoatLayoutcopy.gif

I may be stealing this to wire my boat, ha. Thought you'd like to know!

ober51 said:
Cheeseball said:
Hi BPSguy,

JonBoatLayoutcopy.gif

I may be stealing this to wire my boat, ha. Thought you'd like to know!

Then let me add the "I'm not an electrician!" disclaimer to that drawing. :-s I would gladly take any corrections or suggestions from one who is more knowledgeable.

I did mine differently.
8 gauge to teh switch panel and 8 gauge to teh trolling motor.
From the switch panel to the running lights 16 gauge is fine, actually for all your circuits 16 gauge will work fine, except the accessory outlets. Run 14 gauge to it. I used boat trailer wiring as my 16 gauge wire, 4 wires connected 25' long. Or you could get the 5 or 6 wires connected 25' long. Plus its color coded. Link to my build in my sig.

Latest posts