1436 ouchita

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathunter21

Reaction score
i have a 1436 ouchita and i plan on repainting it amd putting floors in the back and middle and putting a low level deck in the front. i painted it earlier this year and made the mistake of using latex paint. it is already peeling off and im going to sand it all off and redo it. i also want to cut the top out of the front to bench seats to make room for tackle and battery storage. i am going to redo my transom. i redid that earlier in the year but i used a 2 by 12 and it split in half after an unfortunate dock incident. :lol: i will start posting pictures as soon as i get started which hopefully will be later today. O..and how important is primer? will it look just as good if i put 3 or 4 coats of paint on? does primer help the paint last longer? thanks, Mack

The primer is really what makes the paint stick and last longer. I would suggest atleast using some Rustoleum primer for metals if nothing else.

If you prep the boat right - meaning atleast etching it or sanding it pretty goood - you'll be fine with a coat or 2 of primer, then as many topcoats of paint as you can get on there. It will last a lot longer and look better if you do it right the first time

cathunter21 said:
i have a 1436 ouchita and i plan on repainting it amd putting floors in the back and middle and putting a low level deck in the front. i painted it earlier this year and made the mistake of using latex paint. it is already peeling off and im going to sand it all off and redo it. i also want to cut the top out of the front to bench seats to make room for tackle and battery storage. i am going to redo my transom. i redid that earlier in the year but i used a 2 by 12 and it split in half after an unfortunate dock incident. :lol: i will start posting pictures as soon as i get started which hopefully will be later today. O..and how important is primer? will it look just as good if i put 3 or 4 coats of paint on? does primer help the paint last longer? thanks, Mack

You will need primer if you are painting an aluminum boat. From what you said, the latex paint came off, meaning you are going to have to sand it down - do you mean sand it down to the metal or some old paint just scuffed up? If there are bare spots, make sure you give it some zinc chromate, some self etch, or some bare metal primer. You need to create a strong bond in order for the paint to hold effectively.

For my first boat I used cans of self etch primer, and that ran $5-7 a can, for like 70 bucks to do a 14 foot semi v. For my 16' Mon Ark I used an $8 quart of bare metal Rustoleum, and I actually liked that better. I dod 2 good coats of that, then put Interlux Brightside Paint, and did 2 coats of that as well. I will likely recoat one last time, or at least lightly sand and spot coat. You can check out my build thread, as it basically is all detailed there, I think.

If you have any questions, just post or PM me, I'll be glad to help.

The latex is all peeling so i think im going to try to get all of it off. After i get it primed what kind of paint would work well? rustoleum? tractor implement?

A few guys in my jon boat club used Rustoleum and it looks like it's doing well.... but he's only had it on there a few months.

I would think as long as you put it on thick enough you'll be just fine. Can't hurt with Tractor paint either - that stuff hardens like it's not even funny

I think the best two that aren't going to totally break the bank: Interlux Brightside and Pettit Easypoxy. I think Rustoleum even makes a topside paint, but it's not the same stuff as the more expensive (not a one part polyurethane).

so i have been wire wheeling and sanding the boat since 10 this morning and im still not done :( man that is alot of work. im about to have to go to baseball practice so im going to quit for the day and start again bright and early tomorow. Hopefully ill have it ready to paint by tomorow night. i have pictures coming tonight if i can figure out how to use photobucket.

If you want paint to stick to aluminum, you must use a self etching primer. Then prime with an automotive primer and then top coat. You can get everything you need at a napa store, or an automotive paint store. If you etch it first it will not peel. Aluminum can be slick as glass, but clean.

i am wanting to put a small deck in the front of the boat about 3 or 4 inches below the bench seat. i have looked at pictures of other peoples decks they have built but can anyone explain the framing process to me. what materials do i need i see most use little brackets instead of just screwing it together. thank you.

cathunter21 said:
i am wanting to put a small deck in the front of the boat about 3 or 4 inches below the bench seat. i have looked at pictures of other peoples decks they have built but can anyone explain the framing process to me. what materials do i need i see most use little brackets instead of just screwing it together. thank you.

The brackets you speak of are StrongTie brackets you can get them at HD or Lowes in the deck building matierials isle. They should be fine to build you deck. Just don't use them to attach the framework to your boat. They contain zinc chromate and that dosen't agree with aluminum. (They will cause corosion). Some that have used StrongTies have used plasic or nylon washers to insulate the zinc bracket from the aluminum.

Cheeseball said:
cathunter21 said:

The brackets you speak of are StrongTie brackets you can get them at HD or Lowes in the deck building matierials isle. They should be fine to build you deck. Just don't use them to attach the framework to your boat. They contain zinc chromate and that dosen't agree with aluminum. (They will cause corosion). Some that have used StrongTies have used plasic or nylon washers to insulate the zinc bracket from the aluminum.

Can't you get aluminum strong ties? Stainless will corrode too?

Cheeseball said:
I have not seen Aluminum and Stainless would not corrode but I haven't seen those either.

Hmm..can you give a link to nylon washers for the strong ties? I would like to know what to look for/buy.

I haven't used them before. I just saw someone one this site used them. Google it... or go to you local hardware store. Or, go all aluminum framing and do away with all that wood weight.

Cheeseball said:
I haven't used them before. I just saw someone one this site used them. Google it... or go to you local hardware store. Or, go all aluminum framing and do away with all that wood weight.

Sure, if you're paying, lol. I'll see what I can find, but a quick search wasnt productive.

Cheeseball said:
cathunter21 said:

Zinc Chromate causes corrosion?? Funny, I used Zinc Chromate as the primer for my aluminum boat... may be something different, but I don't think it causes corrosion.

russ010 said:
Cheeseball said:
cathunter21 said:

Zinc Chromate causes corrosion?? Funny, I used Zinc Chromate as the primer for my aluminum boat... may be something different, but I don't think it causes corrosion.

Russ, are you using strong ties? If so, are you putting a washer in between them and your ribs? Or just right into the ribs?

Latest posts