Building Transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
I am wondering how long I have to wait until after I apply the Thompson's Water Seal to glue the two pieces together? The reason I ask is because my water sealer is in a sprayer jug, and I no longer have the directions. I was hoping to apply the glue tomorrow and clamp the pieces together so it cures by the weekend.

Thompson water seal is petroleum based, so be sure the glue you use is petroleum based w/ a solvent to help adhere to the water sealer. I would recommend liquid nails exterior, or the PL400 brand.

Glue them together first with a waterproof glue then seal them.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Glue them together first with a waterproof glue then seal them.

Too late for that, lol. I went ahead and sealed them first. Guess I am going to have to make due at this point. I actually just might use 3M 5200, I used it last time on the spar varnished oak for a transom and it was rock solid.

you can go ahead and glue them together after a few hours - just make sure they are dry to the touch or maybe even a little tacky. The wood will soak up what you don't let dry on the outside surface.

When I did an old deck, I could walk on it after about 4 hours... but that was the South Carolina heat and I think the temp was around 95*... if you put it outside in the sun with those two sides facing the sun, you'll speed up the process a little

russ010 said:
you can go ahead and glue them together after a few hours - just make sure they are dry to the touch or maybe even a little tacky. The wood will soak up what you don't let dry on the outside surface.

When I did an old deck, I could walk on it after about 4 hours... but that was the South Carolina heat and I think the temp was around 95*... if you put it outside in the sun with those two sides facing the sun, you'll speed up the process a little

Thanks, Russ. Yeah I think I am heading over to get some Liquid Nails and maybe a few clamps to go with the others that I have. Ill come back, glue and clamp, by that time it will likely have been dried. The transom is small enough that I can just bring it inside if there is a threat of rain, which there is the next few days, obviously.

BassAssassin said:
Thompson water seal is petroleum based, so be sure the glue you use is petroleum based w/ a solvent to help adhere to the water sealer. I would recommend liquid nails exterior, or the PL400 brand.

Went with the PL400, as it was cheaper and seemed to be the same product, so thanks for this. Cure time is 48 hours, so definitely will be dry/cured by the weekend.

are you going to get it out on its maiden voyage this weekend??? if you do - take pics!

I forgot to do that with mine this past weekend and I'm still kicking myself

russ010 said:
are you going to get it out on its maiden voyage this weekend??? if you do - take pics!

I forgot to do that with mine this past weekend and I'm still kicking myself

If I can't get the transom behind my bracket in one piece, I may have to break it down to three. I would rather not do that, but it sure seemed like I would when I was removing the old one (which was in one piece, but I think that was factory, over 25-30 years ago, if I had to guess).

Doubtful that I will get it out there, as I have to go to a state marina for them to reissue a new HIN number. That reminds me that I need to make an apt with them.

I am shooting for next weekend. I am getting the itch to get out there, so it should be soon. Pictures are a must. I might fire up the Yammy to see it run and make sure all is good before then though. Oh and then there is the trailer modification, too, lol. So there is a bit of work to do - but work and weather is getting in the way.

Latest posts