My project - need ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trill

Reaction score
So I've got this Alumacraft T14XL that I'm getting ready for the water. The wood rotted out that was by the transom on the floor where the gas can sits so I tore it all out and was thinking.. What kind of deck could I put in this thing? I have not bought any wood yet and was wondering if anyone has modded one of these V boats? I know it is not the best for shallow bass fishing and such but I really don't like the natural floor in this boat. It is loud, uneven, and just feels clumsy. I think the most people that would go in this boat would be 3.

Here are some pics.
boat001.jpg

boat002.jpg

boat003.jpg

boat005.jpg

boat009.jpg

boat008.jpg

Time to get trailer lights working, motor cleaned and wires replaced thanks to mice.
Wish me luck lol

Welcome to the site.
Nice boat/outboard you have there.
I'm sure you will get lots of ideas from this site maybe not on the identical boat but on ones pretty similiar.
I'm almost positve that bassboy will chime in as he just got the same boat and really likes your motor.
Looks like the motor hasn't been started in awhile either?

welcome and nice boat. here's a link to mine, similar but only 12'. plenty of ideas here, just browse and think about what your needs are, and get started. good luck!

While I have them out, the specs on mine (1985 model) are:
5 persons or 695 pounds
1010 Pounds, Persons, Motor, Gear
35 Horse power motor.

Now, your plate, since yours is before an '85, would have said 40 horsepower, as in '85, the motor rating system was changed, so a modern 35 is about equal to an old 40, hence the variances in capacities.

Go to this link, and look around. There are actually a few 14 foot mods, although none of this model Alumacraft (a couple of the older, narrower ones).

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156
Evattman also did a good one, that isn't in that link (hint hint Jim :wink: ), so you can search for that in the jon conversion subsection.

Here is one a guy on a different forum did to a T14XL.
https://shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,270,00.html

Later, he went and put a casting deck in the bow, that went from the little seat in the bow, to the first full bench, with a pedestal seat, and one storage box underneath. Unfortunately, that board is having technical issues at the moment, so I can't get the link to that.

Clean all that crud out of the motor, then see if it runs. You have an excellent motor there, so there shouldn't be problems getting it running.

I really am not certain what I am going to do with mine. Once you get past the point of modding/restoring boats to have a fishing platform that fits your uses, and start modding/restoring boats for the heck of it, you find yourself buying them, without a use in the world for them. Right now, I am still working on making up a use for it. :roll:

Could you do me a favor, though? As you saw in my thread, mine lacks a splashwell. Since I have the abilities to cut/bend/rivet/weld aluminum, I would like to make a copy of the original splashwell, to reinstall in it. Any chance you could take a few detailed pictures, and possibly a couple measurements, so I know what I am working towards?

I cleaned up the motor, fixed the wires that the mice chewed up and cleaned the carb nice. I need to get a new gas tank because the old one is metal and all rusty crusty on me now. Last time I had the boat out was in 05 and it ran decent then. This boat technically is not mine, it is my fathers but he's ultra lazy and could care less about it.. until I get my hands on it and he acts like its his baby. So I pretty much need him to buy me a new gas tank and then I can get the motor tested good.

I am going out to put the rear end back together, not too knowledgeable about the names/terms/specs of boats so please fill me in if you can. Its the floor by the transom/plug hole. there is a piece of wood that goes down then the metal plates mount to that which stores some styrofoam pieces for bouyancy?

About your question about the splashwell, I do not know what that is. If you can point me in the right direction I could do that for you.

I don't know if I will be "Allowed" to start drilling rivets yet, so for now I will just gather ideas until I get the ok :)

Back to the garage to cut some wood, be back in an hour or two to check for your response so I can get those measurements and pictures for ya.

Thanks again guys

I think what he is looking for is the peice of metal that runs across the stern(back)of your boat.That peice up high,kinda like a gutter.

bassboy I got some numbers for you.

I tried drawing a diagram on the computer but all that did was get me frustrated and nowhere. SO I drew one on paper and got some measurements.

basically the width of the boat in the back is 59" and the main piece for the splashwell is only 48.25" long. This picture will show you the bends it has

boat3009.jpg

It looks like they just had that piece and filled the ends however they felt and added the gunnel rail on it.

more pics.

boat3001.jpg

boat3002.jpg

boat3004.jpg

boat3006.jpg

boat3008.jpg

so about 8" out from the back - 4" tall and 48.25" long with 2 bends at unknown angles.. not a geometry wizz at all sorry.
then they just wrapped some ends over it and covered it with a piece of alum.

If you need more just ask and I will try to help.

Other than that.. got the motor cleaned up :)
boat2005.jpg

yeah luckily the mice only chewed 2 wires.. the rest was still good. I just blew it out with compressed air and it looks like new.. after blowing it out I removed the carb and cleaned it up nice. It was amazingly clean already which was weird, usually when I take a carb apart after 4 years of sitting the thing is nasty... not this one though lol. Just waiting for fuel to run it!! can't wait

you're welcome bassboy

Thanks for the compliments, I too am proud to see this motor in such good shape. Still need to clean up some spots and grease it up but I hit most of the grease zerks tonight but may have missed some.

more of the motor
boat2006.jpg

boat2008.jpg

Dude,
Father's Day is coming up. Buy him a gas tank for FD and you're in business!! :wink: :wink:

Mike

OOPS, I just noticed that you got it out today - must've gotten a tank already...

That motor was well keep or hardly used,still with orginal stickers.
Glad it worked great for you.

Yea spent a couple hundred today, Tank, adapter, battery, licence, gas, and oil. My father has had this boat since 84 and I was born in 85 and remember him taking me out a bunch as a kid. It was stored in a barn for years and only the past 5 years has been outside. The engine cover is pretty sturdy and seemed to keep most stuff out except the mice lol.

Dad is happy I got it up and going, now we gotta get out and fish together. I do not think I will get to modding this thing for a while but will def keep an eye out for a 1448 jon for a nice personal boat :)

Latest posts