35hp on 14ft'er?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavChaos

Reaction score
Like the title says, whats the opinion on this, buddy just won a 50s something Johnson 35hp motor for his 14ft'er that were putting some work on, replacing some rot etc. gonna add some weight to it with decking, a trolling motor or two etc. To much hp?

I would say that it most probably is. Most likely too much weight hanging on the transom as well.

Depends on the 14'er. Some could handle that. We need more info though to make an educated answer.

bAcKpAiN said:
Depends on the 14'er. Some could handle that. We need more info though to make an educated answer.

What do you need, its a v haul but its split, it has V -Flat- V .. its fiberglass too.

PavChaos said:
What do you need, its a v haul but its split, it has V -Flat- V .. its fiberglass too.

If it has a V on each side it is a shallow tunnel hull sometimes referred to as a Texas Sled.If it has a V in the center and one on each side it's a cathedral hull also know as a tri hull.Scroll down this page to see what I am talking about. https://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/ReviewPages/BoatUSF/Project/info1b.htm

Thanks fellas!!

An old 14' tri hull glass boat should be able to handle 35hp if the transom is sturdy..

Yea the boat is a 14ft'er fiberglass, and its from the early 1970s I wanna say? .. I was hoping my buddy would sign up here and posted pictures, hes the one who found this site and sent me the link when he first got the boat, he paid 200$? for the boat and trailer off ebay, and its a little beat up so yesterday we were replacing all the rotted wood in the stern, and with what we did last night the stern and boat seemed 100x stiffer then it did when we got it. Ill try to get some pictures for you guys tonight figure Ill go there after work today and brake his stones a bit haha.

Thanks again, im glad that the 35hp wont be a problem .. I was thinking it was to much myself but I guess its not.

Latest posts