Wireing through the gunnels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ben2go said:
Use something to protect the wiring where they pass through the holes.They may chafe and cause electrolsis.

...and don't forget about the wiring when you decide to mount rod holders or something on the gunnels...

I also diid that to mine. It just seemed to make sense. I didn't even think about using the channel on the sideboard because I figured every hook/bait I tied on would end up catching on it. All I did was wrap the wire with tape real well when it enters and exits the tube rail. If I add a aerator to the livewell when I work on it again I may use the side channel for wiring.

make sure to use a stiff conduit to run along the side... even if you put it in the small black corrugated pipe, it will sag because you can't keep it tight.

I did that as a temporary fix this weekend, and ended up catching the wire with one of my rods and broke off the wire to a switch... made it hard to run my bilge pump to put fresh water back in the livewell.

Some of you may not have had that problem, but it sure did cause me a headache.

In my other boat I ran 4ga wire down the sides, and it was ok because it was a little stiffer wire, but it still sagged in the middle and just looked like crap.